Compliance Advisory, Associate
BlackRock is one of the world?s preeminent asset management firms and a premier provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to institutional, intermediary and individual investors around the world. BlackRock offers a range of solutions ? from rigorous fundamental and quantitative active management approaches aimed at maximizing outperformance to highly efficient indexing strategies designed to gain broad exposure to the world?s capital markets. Our clients can access our investment solutions through a variety of product structures, including individual and institutional separate accounts, mutual funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and the industry-leading iShares® ETFs.
Business Unit Overview:
BlackRock's Compliance Department protects BlackRock?s reputation and provides client focussed advice. It understands, challenges and advises on the impact of regulation in our business, with the objective of:
- Actively participating in business decisions to champion our clients? interests and assist the business to translate Compliance into their daily work;
- Have client interests at the centre of everything we do;
- Cultivate and enhance the compliance culture within BlackRock;
- Provide thought leadership on the impact and implementation of regulation;
- Developing and fostering excellence within the Compliance team;
We have an open associate position within our busy compliance advisory team covering the below four divisions of the business, as part of a wider pool of associates, supporting two VP?s and three directors:
- Active Equity (?AE?) and Global Capital Markets (?GCM?)
- Trading & Liquidity Strategies (?T&LS?)
- EMEA Retail Business
- Institutional Client Business (?ICB?)
Active Equity, GCM and T&LS
Supporting BlackRock?s newly formed Active Equity (?AE?) division (which combines Fundamental Active Equity with Scientific Active Equity). This role will also involve liaison with BlackRock?s Global Capital Markets team (?GCM?) - on primary and secondary market issuances and the management of BlackRock?s information barriers and restricted list processes. There will also be opportunities to support our equity trading desks working with our compliance team for Trading & Liquidity Strategies (?T&LS?). Whilst there will be some exposure to fixed income and derivatives, this role will predominantly be equity focused.
EMEA Retail Business
Our EMEA Retail Business works in partnership with distributor clients across EMEA, APR, Australia, Latin America and Japan. These include retail and private banks, insurance companies and financial adviser networks. Our fund offerings include AUTs, UUTs, CIFs, NURS, hedge funds, Lux SICAVs (Pt I and Pt II) incorporating both active and passive strategies across multiple asset classes. Our EMEA Retail Business currently encompasses circa 185 funds with USD130bn under management. EMEA Retail also includes BlackRock?s Investment Trust business, Sub-Advisory Funds business and Family Office & Charities division - all of which are substantial books of business in their own right.
Institutional Client Business
Our EMEA Institutional Client Business serves institutional clients around the world, including corporate, public, union and industry pension plans; insurance companies; third-party mutual funds; endowments; foundations; charities; corporations; official institutions and banks.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate relevant regulatory knowledge and experience within financial services having gained relevant experience with a ?buy-side? asset manager . Ideally, the candidate will have proven experience working with UCITS funds combined with exposure to equity and/or derivatives asset classes, EMIR reporting and transaction reporting.
- Working with the team leads to provide qualitative compliance advice and support to the business including advice on regulatory change.
- Liaising with portfolio managers and other investment staff including dealers on regulatory matters including advising on eligibility of instruments under UCITS, business conduct and application of BlackRock compliance policies.
- Liaising with portfolio managers and our Global Capital Markets team on regulatory matters including advising on application of Information Barrier policy, Restricted Lists and regulatory requests for information;
- Provide support and advice on regulatory reporting (e.g. MiFID transaction reporting, EMIR etc.), best execution, re-allocation requests and internal crossings.
- Participate in client due diligence visits, assist with RFP requests and periodic client attestations;
- Provide support and input to co-ordination of activities relating to the governance of the UK and Luxembourg fund ranges.
- Work on new product initiatives including review of fund documentation, preparation of internal investment guidelines and sign-off of sales and marketing collateral.
- Review regulatory developments in areas of responsibility
- Provide input to regular reporting and communication on Compliance matters to senior management and corporate and/or fund boards and broader BlackRock business.
- The ideal candidate will have compliance advisory experience within a ?buy-side? asset manager, excellent communication skills and a strong personality, combining energy, enthusiasm, resilience, tenacity, diplomacy and above all, sound judgement under pressure;
- Self-motivated and solutions-driven with ability to use initiative and think laterally to navigate problems;
- Ability to articulate complex issues in a clear and concise manner. Strong presentation skills and effective in writing;
- High standard of accuracy and excellent attention to detail;
- Excellent organisational skills - ability to prioritise workloads and adhere to deadlines;
- Ability to collaborate across teams/functions and also work autonomously with minimal supervision;
- Knowledge of UCITS a distinct advantage (UK, Luxembourg and/or Irish UCITS);
- Experience of EMIR and transaction reporting would also be an advantage;
- Persuasive and influential in provision of Compliance advice to a high-performing internal client base;
- Relevant experience within a compliance advisory function for a ?buy-side? asset manager;
- Educated to degree level, possibly with a professional qualification e.g., ACA, CFA, IMC;
- Strong working knowledge of FCA Rules and other
Meet Some of BlackRock's Employees
Vice President, Quality Engineering
Tyron works with the Aladdin Quality Engineering Team, focused on improving the quality of the Aladdin platform, reducing defects and improving productivity by building software to test software.
Back to top