Commercial Director, Financial Markets Advisory (DACH region)
Business Unit Overview:
BlackRock's Financial Markets Advisory ("FMA" or "Advisory") group provides counsel to financial institutions, regulators, and government entities on their most critical and often most complex financial issues. The broad set of capabilities within FMA seeks to combine asset expertise and capital markets knowledge with practical, results-oriented consulting and advisory skills. The group typically works with senior management at top financial institutions, official institutions and market intermediaries and utilities around the globe, with a focus on their balance sheet and capital markets exposures as well as a wide range of other strategic, regulatory and operational challenges.
The FMA group was established in 2008, to address the unique challenges that arose globally as a consequence of the financial crisis. Since its founding, FMA has completed over 500 assignments for over 225 unique clients in 31 countries. The FMA team is regularly called upon to address our clients' most unique challenges. FMA provides financial, experiential, educational, and promotion opportunities to attract, retain and develop some of BlackRock's most outstanding talent. We presently conduct our activities through over 250 professionals located globally, principally in London and New York with office locations in Athens, Budapest, Charlotte, Dublin, Frankfurt, Gurgaon, Milan, Washington and Zurich. The FMA group operates behind an informational barrier separating it from the firm's traditional portfolio management activities. This creates a conflict-avoidant environment and further serves to protect client data and proprietary information.
This role will be of central importance to FMA's ongoing expansion with specific focus on its ability to support the ongoing high growth rate of its client base. Specifically, the successful candidate will support the domestic German market and also more broadly across both the DACH and EMEA regions respectively.
We are seeking a motivated candidate to join our FMA team as a senior consultant with relevant experience in Risk Management and Banking Regulations Expert working closely in a team environment to develop and implement solutions that address our clients' business needs. Our client base includes some of the largest, most sophisticated financial institutions in the world, as well as government institutions across the globe, providing our staff with diverse and challenging work experiences.
Assignments within the group range across each of our four key areas:
- Balance Sheet Management
- Risk and Regulation
- Data and Analytics
- Capital Markets and Transaction Support
The Commercial Director would assume the following responsibilities:
- Advising clients on high-profile mandates in the financial industry on complex issues with regards to strategy, balance sheet, markets, risk, regulation, system-wide policy, transactions, etc.
- Playing a hands-on role in client project execution for customized model development and model validation advisory assignments, working in close collaboration with FMA engagement teams to ensure that the client is comfortable with proposed solution and aware of any limitations
- Serving as subject matter authority on risk and regulatory best practices, staying current on latest sector-specific regulatory guidance, developments and trends
- Leading client discussions and preparing new ideas and services for new business development
- Defining and developing procedures and standards for modeling content and related documentation supporting project needs, and clients' business and model validation requirements
- Evaluating different modelling approaches by careful consideration of client's objectives, expertise and infrastructure as well as internal capabilities
- Acting as a project manager for our client mandates and across internal teams
- Preparing presentations and reports for pitching new business and communicating project results
- Performing quantitative analysis and problem solving in support of client engagements. Coordination and mentoring of junior team members to facilitate their continuous learning and development
- Contribute to BlackRock's fiduciary culture of providing the highest quality service to our clients
The role is based in Frankfurt with the opportunity to travel and support clients throughout Europe and Globally.
- This role will offer material opportunities for leadership and ownership of key areas of client deliverables and content matter.
- This role will provide significant opportunities for the successful candidate to apply and further develop both their content matter expertise across multiple key areas including risk and regulation
- The role will require frequent presentation of mandated output to clients and participation in the drive to secure new client mandates
- This role will provide scope for the candidate to develop their experience directing, mentoring and developing junior team members
- Relevant leadership experience within management consulting services
- Deep understanding of the European financial sector and its challenges as demonstrated by a strong background in risk management and regulations
- Proven expertise in the execution of large transformation projects
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking with dynamic, engaging style and excellent written and oral communication skills
- Relevant experience in digitization within Banking preferred
- Fluent English and German language skills. Fluency in additional European languages is an advantage
- Proven track record of success in a fast-paced and goal-oriented environment
- Self-starter, effective at prioritizing tasks, managing time, expectations, and getting things done
- Excellent presentation skills, the candidate should have the ability to confidently explain complex problems and content to broad audiences both internal and external
- Experience with complex client relationships, assessing needs and taking an innovative approach to developing solutions; prior strategic and 'solutions-oriented' account experience desired
- Skilled at influencing results through others without necessarily having formal authority and capability to build solid relationships with cross-functional partners
Meet Some of BlackRock's Employees
Vice President, Quality Engineering
Tyron works with the Aladdin Quality Engineering Team, focused on improving the quality of the Aladdin platform, reducing defects and improving productivity by building software to test software.
Back to top