Associate, iShares COO & Strategy - Hong Kong
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of March 31, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.317 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
Business Unit Overview:
BlackRock's ETFs and Index Investments (EII) team manages more than $3.6 trillion in global passive equity assets across Global Developed Markets, Emerging Markets, Commodities and REITs. This includes BlackRock's iShares product line, the leading provider of ETFs in the world, with over $1.7 trillion in assets under management. With a global footprint, strong client orientation and an innovative product range, iShares was the industry's number one in flows in 2017 with $245 billion, a 19% organic asset growth and flow market share of 36%. iShares operates over 800 ETFs, the broadest range of ETF investment options, offering exposure to virtually the entire investable universe, from the most essential to the deepest niche; and our funds are equally accessible to institutions, advisers and individuals. Product lines provide efficient exposure across equities, fixed income, real estate and commodities, as well as strategies such as smart beta and sustainable investing.
The Index and ETF Investments Business also oversees over $2 trillion in Index Equity funds (mutual funds, pooled funds, segregated mandates) and offers index equity investors the industry's broadest array of investment choices. Our clients include corporate pension plans, public pension plans, central banks, sovereign wealth funds and other institutional investors.
The Business Management & Strategy role is part of the COO and Strategy team in the EII APAC business. This is a broad role in terms of both content and function, being a combination of project-based work focused on specific initiatives as well as ongoing support to the EII APAC management team.
The role supports the development and execution of high priority projects and business initiatives for the EII APAC business, driving analytics and synthesizing findings to inform overall strategy. The position requires strong collaboration with the whole of the EII APAC team (across Hong Kong, Tokyo and Sydney) as well as key internal BlackRock partners and stakeholders (across APAC and globally) to successfully implement projects or business initiatives. The role is based in Hong Kong, reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer for APAC EII.
Assist in the creation of business and product entry strategy (market and opportunity sizing); develop and partner with EII APAC teams to execute on such strategies and drive ownership and accountability
- Market or channel/ segment distribution strategy
- Market sizing, opportunity assessment and execution strategy plan
- Market and competitor landscape
- Regulatory agenda and engagement
Undertake management and operational functions including budget responsibilities and business and finance reporting functions to inform management decisions
- Design and implement management information tools pertaining to profitability and efficiency of business
- Act as central repository for market and business information
- Coordinate all aspects of financial planning, forecasting and reporting
- Support management team on a range of ad hoc business and other issues
Execution of cross-functional projects and initiatives
Ensure successful execution of cross-functional projects or business initiatives to further the EII APAC objectives
- Take responsibility and drive key strategic projects or key business initiatives, including planning, coordination through to execution and completion
- Assess key operational procedures, core capabilities, regulatory risks and ability to execute against potential plans
Partner with the broader BlackRock businesses and key stakeholders to coordinate successful execution and implementation of strategic projects or key business initiatives and to represent the EII APAC business generally
- Work with Finance, Strategy and Human Resources to produce annual revenue and expense plans and forecasts
- Work with Aladdin & Technology to implement and improve the CRM system
- Work with the Risk and Business Operations teams to ensure the development and maintenance of an appropriate controls environment
- Create materials to communicate strategic plans to senior management across the region and globally
Experience and Qualifications Required:
- Articulate and strong problem solving and analytical skills: able to gather and synthesize information, draw conclusions and summarize issues for an executive audience
- Strong stakeholder management; excellent communication & influencing skills
- A collaborative team player, able to work with people of all levels
- Demonstrated ability to work and deliver results with limited oversight
- High level of self-motivation and good business judgment
- High degree of proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong knowledge of the region, its markets and institutions is a plus
- Knowledge of ETFs and Index products is desirable
- English required and ideally Mandarin
- A minimum of 3 years' experience / expertise working in professional or financial services firm (law, finance, consulting, banking, investment management) is required
- Personal Qualities
- Collaborative, team player
- Adaptable & resilient
- Culturally attuned
- Committed & energetic
- Decisive, able to operate independently
- High personal and professional integrity
- Strong analytical capabilities, the ability to work independently and comfortable with tight deadlines and multi-tasking are important attributes of the position.
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate across reporting lines will be essential.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.
Meet Some of BlackRock's Employees
Vice President, Quality Engineering
Tyron works with the Aladdin Quality Engineering Team, focused on improving the quality of the Aladdin platform, reducing defects and improving productivity by building software to test software.
Back to top