About this role
What team will you be on?
Fundamental Equities sits within BlackRock's Portfolio Management Group (PMG), which encompasses Fundamental and Systematic investing across Fixed Income, Equities and Multi-Asset Strategies.
The Fundamental Equities (FE) business is a key division at BlackRock with over $250bn of assets under management, across 100+ strategies and 220+ investment professionals (as at end February 2021). FE use traditional analytics to pick stocks and assemble coherent, deliberate and diversified portfolios. Through cutting edge technology, sophisticated models and embedded research, our investment management approach provides superior performance for our clients and is an important part of the BlackRock brand.
- The best performance is delivered by tightly knit, focused and accountable teams.
- Returns can be enhanced by the firm-wide sharing of market knowledge and perspectives.
- Good investment decisions arise from integrating research with portfolio management.
- A global presence results in a global perspective combined with targeted local expertise.
- Quantitative portfolio analytics support risk-efficient portfolio construction.
FE strategies seek to identify and exploit market inefficiencies in the pursuit of alpha, across Global, Regional, US and Sector strategies. Our teams make their own investment decisions - within a prescribed framework and aligned with the firm's rigorous risk management practices. Each team invests according to its unique philosophy, process and style and has a high level of discretion to allocate across regions, countries, industries and individual stocks.
Why is your role important?
BlackRock's US Growth team seeks a Research Associate who will be responsible for conducting fundamental research and contributing to the investment process for BlackRock's Fundamental Growth products, reporting into the Director of Research.
The Growth team consists of 12 investors managing over $45 billion in growth-focused equity portfolios. The team focuses on business models that have the potential for high returns on invested capital, high free cash flow conversion of net income and opportunities to replicate their success globally. Cornerstone to the team's approach is building portfolios around a blend of three types of growth stocks:
- Superior - industry leaders taking share with long-term persistent advantages
- Durable - sustainable business models more mature in their life cycle that exhibit sustainable margin improvements or significant return of cash to shareholders
- Periodic - businesses that thrive in expanding economies, but where margins are volatile
The team's bottom-up, fundamentally based process seeks to deliver consistency of returns and preservation of capital over the long term investing for earnings strength more than exploiting benchmark or market pricing anomalies.
What will you be doing?
- Conducting company research - including financial analysis, due diligence on industry trends, company management and strategies.
- Meeting with management teams to build stronger understanding of underlying industry, competitive dynamics, business drivers, and strategic direction. Attend industry conferences.
- Presenting to senior team members why the consensus is incorrect on the duration of growth or a best in class business model. Make stock specific recommendations.
- Building and update financial and valuation models, synthesize and assess financial, industry data and conduct primary research through industry sources.
- Articulating investment theses in both formal presentations and more informal discussions and communicate with investment professionals throughout the firm
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor's Degree; CFA and advanced degree preferred.
- Some familiarity with healthcare industry preferred but not required.
- Outstanding analytical and organizational skills.
- Passion for fundamental investing.
- Ability to synthesize and communicate large amounts of information in a succinct manner.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and some modelling experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about.
At BlackRock, we are all connected by one mission: to help more and more people experience financial well-being. Our clients, and the people they serve, are saving for retirement, paying for their children's educations, buying homes and starting businesses. Their investments also help to strengthen the global economy: support businesses small and large; finance infrastructure projects that connect and power cities; and facilitate innovations that drive progress.
This mission would not be possible without our smartest investment - the one we make in our employees. It's why we're dedicated to creating an environment where our colleagues feel welcomed, valued and supported with networks, benefits and development opportunities to help them thrive.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit careers.blackrock.com | www.blackrock.com/corporate | Instagram: @blackrock | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.