Associate – Data Science Specialist (Active Equity)
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2018, the firm managed approximately $5.98 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
Job Description: Data Science Specialist within Active Equities
Location: Gurgaon, India
Introduction to BlackRock:
BlackRock (NYSE: BLK) provides investment management, risk management, operations, and advisory services to institutional, intermediary, and individual investors around the world. BlackRock seeks to better serve clients by anticipating and responding to changes and advancements in the investment industry and capital markets, and continually aims to broaden and deepen its investment and risk management capabilities. Our commitment to analytical and investment excellence is anchored in a culture that places clients' interests first. We exclusively act as a fiduciary to our clients, never trading as a principal or on our own behalf.
Today, BlackRock serves institutional, retail, and high net worth investors in more than 100 countries. Through the efforts of over 13,000 professionals in 30 countries, we leverage our global expertise and scale to serve our clients. BlackRock is the largest publicly traded asset manager in the world, with assets under management ("AUM") of $5.7 trillion as of June 30, 2017.
The Data Science Specialist within AE is responsible for contributing to the global execution of model development and data science components of complex, high profile AE projects. This individual will help design and implement the various ongoing operational processes related to data and analytics across all aspects of the project lifecycle, from pre-proposal scoping to final quality control. S/he will also help promote and maintain a culture of utilizing best-in-class methodologies and tools in executing assignments across our key practice areas.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Execute on data science and model development components of AE projects.
- Help define and develop methodologies for analysis and modelling requirements of projects; establish innovative modelling approaches where needed (e.g. machine learning, Bayesian analysis and inference, complex networks, text analytics, etc.)
- Provide data science and modelling support for business development, lead qualification, strategic product development
- Be accountable for modelling output and results
- Help set vision and resource allocation for data science & model development
- Liaise with the different Active Equities (AE) investment teams on project execution
- Serve as subject matter authority on AE data science capabilities, staying current on latest developments and trends
- Work in close partnership with AE leadership including senior management, business development leads and practice areas heads
- Contribute to business development and relationship management, working alongside the broader team
- Effectively present model methodologies to internal working teams and clients, including executive-level stakeholders
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned data scientist who has demonstrated the ability to lead teams executing data-driven analytical or modeling projects utilizing a range of methodologies and tools. The ideal candidate will possess:
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the full range of data science models (e.g. machine learning; statistics; optimization).
- Strong working knowledge of data science and modelling tools (e.g. R; Python with numpy/scipy/sklearn/pandas; MATLAB) with fluency in at least two
- Working knowledge of related data management tools
- Background in investment research is ideal
- Demonstrable experience applying data science approaches in relevant contexts, working with large and potentially unstructured data sets: anomaly or fraud detection; classification; clustering
- Fine attention to detail; action-oriented attitude; and willingness to roll up sleeves
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to synthesize complex methodologies and analytical content into clear messages for a range of client and internal audiences
- Excellent problem solving abilities, intellectual curiosity and experience understanding complex issues
- Team player with collaborative and strong interpersonal skills; mentors and coaches resources along the way; leads by example
- Superior organizational skills, self-starter and ability to perform under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment
- Masters/PhD in a relevant technical/quantitative discipline: Computer Science; Math; Statistics; Engineering; Physics.
Other personal characteristics
- Unquestioned integrity and the highest ethical standards
- A keen interest in financial markets and a built-in drive to achieve superior performance
#BigData #Hadoop #Java #Python #R #SQL #NoSQL #CloudComputing #MachineLearning #NeuralNetworks #AnomalyDetection #StatisticalInference #TimeSeries #Analytics #LinearAlgebra #MapReduce #ComputerScience #CS #Statistics #Engineering #ComputationalScience #MATLAB
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.
Back to top