Associate – Data Science Specialist (Active Equities)
About this role
BlackRock Active Equities (AE) has created a global research team called Active Equities Integration and Data (AEID).
The purpose of the group is to apply Big Data and machine intelligence in combination with human insight to help solve impactful investment questions. We believe this combination will be the future of active investment.
- You will work among a small highly motivated, multi-disciplinary team to invent & develop IP that tackles high impact investment problems faced by human investors. The IP you build will consume huge amounts of data, employ the latest advances in computer science, supported by world-class infrastructure, to discover investment insight.
- You will interact with investment experts to deeply understand the investment questions and then creatively apply your knowledge of expertise to structure the problems into AI-powered solutions. This may include developing machine learning algorithms and mining alternative datasets such as text, satellite imagery, geolocation, and network data.
Qualifications, skills & experience:
- 2-7 years of experience with demonstrated experience developing Big Data/AI capabilities
- Master or PhD degree in computer science, statistics or applied mathematics. Interdisciplinary background and creative thinking are positives.
- In-depth knowledge and extensive working experience in at least one of the following topics: o Computer vision o Geospatial data mining o NLP o Machine learning, especially deep learning and transfer learning
- Strong programming experience with Python/R/C++/JAVA
- Experience in machine learning and deep learning platforms such as scikit-learn/AutoML/TensorFlow/Keras/PyTorch etc.
- Experience processing and mining large scale unstructured big data sets on Hadoop/Sparks/
- Familiar with data warehouse like Hive/BigQuery and NoSQL database like BigTable/MogoDB/ PostgreSQL
- Familiar with cloud platforms such as AWS or Google Cloud.
- Excellent communication skills with fluent verbal and written English
- Out-of-box thinker with a passion to solve problems in the financial markets: You have a passion for applying your skills in Big Data and AI to solve impactful problems in fundamental investing.
- Results Driven: Passionate about applying technology to transform the asset management industry. Demonstrated experience to overcome obstacles to achieve goals. Invents and delivers best-in-class standards and performance.
- Strategic thinking: Out-of-box thinker whose ideas challenge the status-quo and other players in the industry. Intellectually curious with ability to identify obscure information that is unique and useful.
- Leadership: Self-starter, creative and works efficiently. Present & communicate ideas in a concise manner
- Teamwork and collaboration: Actively engages the team to develop plans and resolve issues through collaboration. Builds enduring partnerships within and outside the organization.
The following are positives but not required:
1. Publish papers on those conferences: ICCV/CVPR/ICML/NIPS/ACL/EMNLP/AAAI/SIGIR/SIGKDD/SIGSPATIAL
2. Host projects on GitHub
3. Knowledge of investing such as holding MBA, a minor degree in economics/business/finance, or prior experience in an investment company
4. Experience in ACM/Kaggle/KDD Cup competitions, using alternative data for investing, data visualization or network analysis
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of March 31, 2019, the firm managed approximately $6.52 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit @blackrock | Blog: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.
Back to top