Director, Product Management
- Woodland Hills, CA
At BlackLine, our success hinges on developing and maintaining industry-leading business solutions that hundreds of thousands of users across the world rely upon. A key success component is the highly collaborative and market-facing nature of our Product Management team. Product Management is responsible for guiding products through the software development lifecycle including analyzing, positioning, promoting, and tailoring our solutions to both new and existing customers. They work closely with creative and talented engineers, designers, and marketers to help design and develop solutions that improve companies overall financial close process.
BlackLine’s Product Management group drives product design and strategy across BlackLine’s entire suite of solutions, manages the product backlog and roadmap, and leverages deep product, market, and competitive knowledge in support of other teams throughout BlackLine. The Director, Product Management will manage a portfolio of products and lead an internal team of Product Managers. The ideal candidate has a background in product management and strategic development and has prior team management experience. The Director will act as a deputy to the VP, Product Management to handle operations for the group and to help represent the group to senior management and across the organization.
- Team Management: The Director, Product Management will lead a team of 5+ individuals and will be responsible for managing individual and team performance, creating a culture of continuous improvement, and ensuring that the team consistently aligns to BlackLine’s corporate objectives. This individual will handle performance management, training, coaching, onboarding, and other day-to-day activities, and will be heavily involved in budgeting and strategic planning.
- Roadmap & Backlog: The Director will ensure that both the roadmap and backlog are updated frequently and provide a clear vision for the direction of a grouping of products that aligns to BlackLine’s broader corporate strategy, technology roadmap, and product vision. They’ll provide frequent updates and reporting on roadmap contents and progress, as well as the decision-making process that goes into defining the Roadmap. This role serves as the outward-facing representative of the group internally and externally; be a spokesperson for the Products group, its product managers, and individual products.
- Process & Project Coordination: The Director, Product Management will work closely with other teams, including UX/UI Design, Engineering, Tech Ops, Support, and Marketing to ensure that all projects function smoothly. Where necessary, the Manager will work to create and implement policies, procedures, and processes in order to improve our workflow and output. This role also includes internal collaboration with other leaders inside of the Product team, including Product Directors, Managers, and Product Managers.
- Customer Feedback: The Director will participate in sales and marketing activities including customer roundtables, sales demonstrations, customer advisory board, and user conferences. This role is seen as a subject matter expert on BlackLine core system modules including assisting with internal training, Support team education, and product marketing efforts.
- Leadership: Product Management is a difficult role, with immense responsibility, competing demands, and the constant pressure of making difficult decisions. The Director will provide steady leadership, mentoring, and support for the product team with the goal of ensuring that morale and productivity remain high. This role should also take special care that individual product managers are adequately supported and mentored.
- Strategy: The Director will perform market, competitor, and customer research to identify and capitalize on industry trends, new technology, and regulatory/compliance changes and help with longer-term product strategy.
- Software Quality: This individual will be passionate about good design and modern technology. They’ll ensure that the software we deliver to our customers is functional, valuable, cutting-edge, and, where possible, beautiful.
- Hands-on: The Director is an entrepreneur who contributes as an individual, fills in gaps where necessary, and does anything that can be done to make BlackLine successful.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills
- Comfort making decisions in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong leadership and management ability as evidenced by a track record of leadership positions within software and/or technology organizations
- Deep familiarity with market and organizational elements of both SaaS and Enterprise-scale software businesses. Includes sales, marketing, services, and software development.
- Willingness and ability to “lead from the front”
- A. (MBA Preferred) in Accounting, Finance, or a Technical field
- 7+ years of experience in a Product Management leadership role at a modern software company (SaaS and/or Finance and Accounting preferred)
- 10-20% travel to customers and company/industry events as required
- Understanding of accounting and finance concepts and terminology
- Knowledge of modern web application architecture and engineering patterns and practices
- Experience with Agile/Scrum, Kanban, and Waterfall methodologies
- Familiarity with market and organizational elements of both SaaS and Enterprise-scale Software
- Understanding of user-centered design / Design Thinking concepts
- Led a portfolio of SaaS products (ideally in the finance space) with combined annual revenue of $50MM or above
Back to top