Back End Engineer
At Bitly, we value our community and our culture. We are actively looking for team members who align with our vision, mission and values.
Together we believe in an internet you can see across. We optimize the link so you can own your customer experience.
Bitly is seeking a mid-level Application Engineer with a focus on backend development to help improve and expand the services that power all of our products.
Does API Design make you excited? Are you up to the challenge of building scalable, robust, distributed systems? Do you see an opportunity in building tools to help people understand the world around them? Then Bitly might be the right place for you.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and build large-scale, distributed, highly available, well tested, and easily managed services.
- Create, manage, and improve web APIs that clearly, accurately, and efficiently provide clients with the data they need.
- Work with people throughout the company to understand the goals, needs, and priorities of systems and turn that understanding into a specific plan of attack.
- Use a variety of tools and languages including Go, Python, Hadoop, MySQL, and more.
- A solid background in writing understandable, testable, and efficient code.
- A good understanding of how to design robust and scalable services.
- Familiarity with relevant tools and technologies and stays up to date with ongoing changes and advancements.
- Intimate knowledge of how web protocols, clients, and servers work.
- Ability to identify and communicate the maintainability, development time, operational cost, and user experience trade-offs of different approaches and solutions.
- Experience with and opinions about automated testing.
- Ability to take initiative in addressing issues or seeking support from fellow team members.
- Experience using a flavor of version control—we use git and Github to collaborate and manage pull requests.
- A bachelors in computer science or equivalent experience.
- >(!=) We strive for excellence in all we do. We care.
- Knowledge is power. We are curious. We strive to discover new things and share them with the world.
- Do or do not; there is no try. We will do great things. We will take risks. We will make it happen.
- This land is our land. We are in this together, and we are all owners.
- RESPECT. We treat our teammates, customers, and partners with integrity and value the relationships that we build.
- Competitive Salary + Stock Options.
- Comprehensive and competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance offered (all LGBT friendly).
- 401k with up to 4% employer match.
- One Medical membership; doctors you can text, call or email 24/7 + expert insurance guidance.
- Unlimited vacation, personal time, and work from home policies.
- Generous parental leave policies; maternity and parental leave for growing families.
- Mothers’ room available.
- Company sponsored conference speaking and attendance.
- Snacks, drinks, and weekly catered lunches.
- Gorgeous new offices in New York’s Flatiron, Denver’s Union Station, and San Francisco's Union Square.
- Quarterly Hack weeks.
- Company sponsored volunteering opportunities.
- Dog and bike friendly.
Meet Some of Bitly's Employees
Lead Application Engineer
As head of the Application Engineering Team, Sean helps his crew code and create all Bitly's features and services, overseeing deployment from back-end to front-end.
Back to top