Who is Bird
Bird is a global team guided by a shared vision: to make cities more livable through safe, sustainable electric mobility. From our first e-scooter ride in 2017 to the thousands of rides taking place every day, our passionate team and award winning custom vehicles have helped riders complete hundreds of millions of carbon-free trips in more than 150 cities around the world. And we're just getting started.
We’re looking for a Sr. Government Programs Manager, with a focus on Southern Europe, who can drive cross functional communication, processes, and has experience working directly with elected officials and/or city administrators. This person will be flexible, a creative thinker, be able to think outside the box, will excel at project management, has built and/or led teams, is highly operational and highly entrepreneurial. The Senior Manager will report to the Senior Director, Head of EMEA Policy.
We are accepting applications from candidates across Southern Europe and the Netherlands.
- Solve regulatory challenges related to entering and operating in multiple markets by developing a foundation for Bird to work in partnership with city and community stakeholders, primarily in Southern Europe
- Identifying and address local concerns; actively manage Bird’s participation in any regulatory processes required, such as testifying at legislative hearings; negotiate with elected officials, agency regulators and other stakeholders
- Work with the Policy / Government team and with other departments, including Operations, Legal and Marketing and with external consultants
- Facilitate the suitable regulatory frameworks for Bird to operate across the EMEA, working in partnership with the General Managers for each of those markets
- Ensure smooth launches in new cities and ensure that the company remains responsive to local concerns as they emerge
- Introduce Bird to new markets; navigate city and state regulatory structures; respond to and mitigate local concerns as they arise; develop positive working relationships with government and community stakeholders
- BA required, advanced degree preferred
- 7+ years work experience in government, political or management consulting, lobbying, in-house GP, political communications
- Flexibility to travel as needed; experience working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience navigating bureaucracy, interacting with different stakeholders
- Be a self-starter, with the ability to own and drive priorities within your portfolio
- Be a flexible, creative thinker, able to think outside the box and pursue new solutions
- Understanding of both the regulatory processes and politics involved at the federal, state and local level
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: city, state or federal government; legislative affairs; urban mobility; politics/campaigns; advocacy
- Experienced public speaker, comfortable communicating your message and responding to tough questions
- Ability to negotiate with city and/or legislative staff effectively, while maintaining positive relationships
- Ability to think on your feet - to quickly synthesize and respond to new information while also continuing to drive your priorities
- Thorough attention to detail when analyzing regulatory language and parameters
- Willingness to hold yourself, team members and consultants accountable to continuously be anticipating challenges, identifying opportunities, and delivering results
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required in English and/or French, Italian, Spanish
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We’re committed to helping our team members, and with the evolution of our company to a remote work organization due to the pandemic, their needs have changed. That’s why we offer a WFH monthly stipend, a wellness allowance, and more. Plus, a new resource to help support personal and professional developments—all the goods needed to move on our mission together.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.