Birchbox is changing the way consumers discover and purchase grooming, beauty, and lifestyle products. We combine a monthly subscription service with original editorial content and a fully integrated e-commerce shop. Every month, members sample high-end products targeted to fit their personal profile and behavior, learn about them through our content, and purchase full-size versions of the products they like. Our platform provides our brand partners with an innovative and efficient way to access new customers.
Birchbox launched in the Fall of 2010 and is one of the fastest growing companies in New York. We are backed by top VC firms, including Accel Partners and First Round Capital.
Birchbox (http://birchbox.com) is seeking a technical product manager to manage our customer-facing product initiatives. As the product manager, you'll be responsible for developing the product vision and strategy for Birchbox and managing the entire product life cycle. You'll work closely with the design and engineering teams on a day-to-day basis, and interact with all business units throughout the course of a project. You will be responsible for making sure everything we do meets the vision and high standards of Birchbox.
The ideal candidate is a creative visionary who is not afraid to roll up their sleeves and has a proven track record for leading the development of world-class ecommerce products. This position reports to the Director of Product Management.
Tech @ Birchbox
The technology team at Birchbox is responsible for development (and maintenance) of the company's customer-facing sites (in the United States, France, the UK, and Spain), managing hosted and cloud infrastructure, and closely supporting other teams (merchandising, logistics, marketing, et al.) in our 110+-person company. We work with a wide variety of open-source, internally built, and 3rd party technologies. The size of our team and the breadth of its responsibilities mean we rely on our engineers to be self-motivated and quickly follow through on tasks without requiring close supervision. In return our product development teams are given leeway to use their own initiative.
Our team spans software engineering, technical operations, product, user experience design, and data science. Our challenges include:
- Evolving our software and systems architecture to support a rapidly growing customer base across multiple countries and languages.
- Designing and implementing the best user experience for our customers; we are striving to revolutionize online retail.
- Using data, complex algorithms, and statistics, to personalize the Birchbox experience for our customers, both offline and online.
- Lead product strategy for a cross-functional group at Birchbox consisting of backend engineers, frontend engineers, UX designers, merchants, marketers, and data scientists.
- Develop product roadmaps, user stories, scenarios, and product backlogs by conducting user research and engaging with stakeholder partners.
- Engage with other product managers and leadership team to ensure priorities are aligned.
- Drive product development through the entire development cycle, from conceptualization, design and development, through to launch and ongoing support in a fast-paced, agile environment.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative research to identify opportunities to optimize existing features and design new ones.
- Prioritize day-to-day tasks and deliver projects on schedule.
- 5+ years experience with product management.
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills, and a proven ability to drive complex projects with minimal oversight.
- A strong understanding of current technologies and standards, and how the digital ecosystem is evolving.
- Basic technical skills
- You know enough HTML and CSS to be dangerous.
- Command Line: you know your way around in linux and the mac terminal.
- Version Control: you have used git, svn, or another version control system before. You don't have to be an expert, but you know the basics.
- Databases: you can write basic SQL queries to find the information you need.
- Exceptional communication skills and social awareness.
- Results-oriented and self-motivated with the ability to take charge or play a supporting role.
- Demonstrated ability to collect user feedback and understand customer pain points.
- Enthusiasm for working in a collaborative, fast-paced environment.
- Experience creating simple and intuitive user interface wire frames and mock ups.
- Experience and passion for working in an agile environment.
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science
- Ecommerce experience
- Startup experience
Meet Some of Birchbox's Employees
From your first moments browsing the Birchbox site ’til the moment that beautiful pink box arrives on your doorstep, David is behind the scenes orchestrating the smoothest, most effortless process possible.
Back to top