Director, Data Science
Director of Data Science
At Birchbox we are changing the way people shop for beauty & grooming products through personalized discovery. We are looking for an experienced Data Scientist to lead the Data Science function at Birchbox. A deeply technical individual, with strong leadership skills, and a love of creating rewarding customer experiences.
At Birchbox our data scientists use their skills in statistics, machine learning and operations research to contribute directly to the Birchbox customer experience.
Current projects include:
- Monthly box personalization: tailoring the selection of samples sent to each Birchbox subscriber
- Product recommendation: based on purchasing history, samples received, reviews, profile, browsing data, etc.
- Improvements to product and content search
- Prediction of subscriber churn, purchase, “happiness”, etc.
- Insights to inform major product and business decisions
- Improvements to reporting of key metrics via data warehousing
- Manage, coach, and grow a team of young and high performing analysts of various levels, and create a collaborative, motivating, and challenging team environment
- Set the vision for the function and the roadmap to execute effectively, including reporting and communication for how information is disseminated and acted upon
- Develop a clear perspective on how data science can better serve Birchbox and contribute to the strategic direction of the company
- Create a collaborative and effective working relationship with functional leaders to understand business challenges and prioritize solutions that will enable the success of these functions
- Demonstrate thought leadership as it relates to data science, and actively seek ways to build Birchbox’s “data expertise” reputation externally (white papers, speaking panels, etc.)
Our data technology stack includes:
- Recommendations: Apache Spark (MLlib)
- Warehouse: Redshift, Looker
- Event Logging: Hive, Pig
- Box Allocation/Assortment: Gurobi
- 5+ years experience working as a Data Scientist
- Deep working experience applying statistics and machine learning techniques to real-world data
- Fluency in a scripting language such as Python or Ruby, for fast prototyping
- Ability to write complex SQL queries in short order
- Experience with Map/Reduce tools (e.g. Hadoop, Pig, Hive)
- Solid understanding of a wide range of open source data mining / machine learning software packages (e.g. Weka, scikit-learn, MyMediaLite, Scalding)
- Outstanding executive communication skills
- Management Experience strongly preferred
- PhD in a relevant discipline or equivalent skill set
- Proficiency in R, Matlab, or another mathematical language
- Experience with integer programming
- Experience with search technologies (e.g. Solr, ElasticSearch)
- Experience modeling data and designing feature sets
- Knowledge of distributed algorithms and how to analyze them
- Java and/or Scala know-how
Meet Some of Birchbox's Employees
From your first moments browsing the Birchbox site ’til the moment that beautiful pink box arrives on your doorstep, David is behind the scenes orchestrating the smoothest, most effortless process possible.
Back to top