Birchbox is changing the way consumers discover and purchase grooming, beauty, and lifestyle products. We combine a monthly subscription service with original editorial content and a fully integrated e-commerce shop. Every month, members sample high-end products targeted to fit their personal profile and behavior, learn about them through our content, and purchase full-size versions of the products they like. Our platform provides our brand partners with an innovative and efficient way to access new customers.
Birchbox launched in the Fall of 2010 and is one of the fastest growing companies in New York. We are backed by top VC firms, including Accel Partners and First Round Capital.
Birchbox is looking for an experienced data engineer to join the data science, analytics, and insights (DSAI) team. As we grow, we want to ensure that everyone in the company has access to the data they need. We’re looking for someone who is comfortable working with both relational and NoSQL databases, who has experience building and operating a data warehouse that consolidates data from a variety of sources (SQL, HDFS, third party systems), and who has also worked with BI/reporting systems.
- SQL and stored procedures - Ability to write complex queries/procedures to extract insights from relational databases
- Experience tuning SQL queries and databases
- Designing reporting and warehouse schemas (Cubes, OLTP and OLAP make total sense to you)
- Building and maintaining scalable ETL processes (e.g. Pentaho, Informatica, SSIS)
- Familiarity with Pig/Hive or other Hadoop tools
- Exposure to one or more columnar storage systems (e.g. Redshift, Vertica)
- Prior experience with one or more of BI/reporting tools (e.g. Looker, Tableau, Qlikview, Cognos)
- Strong scripting skills (e.g. Python, Unix Shell)
- Experience integrating with 3rd party systems using APIs
- Strong interest in metrics and reporting
- Ability to multi-task and change priorities
- Stellar communications skills for requirements gathering
- Ability to accurately prioritize based on business needs
- Interest in data analytics, data science, and all things data related
Nice to have:
- Exposure to other NoSQL technologies (e.g. MongoDB)
- R/SAS/SPSS statistical packages
- Data visualization
- Basic knowledge of statistics
- International experience with multi-market support
- Previous e-commerce exposure
Tech @ Birchbox
The technology team at Birchbox is responsible for development of the company's customer-facing sites (in the United States, France, the UK, and Spain), managing hosted and cloud infrastructure, and closely supporting other teams (logistics, marketing, et al.) in our 140+ person company. We work with a wide variety of open-source technologies: Debian-based servers; Chef deployments; Ruby on Rails, Java and PHP services; and Python, Perl and R scripts. The size of our team and the breadth of its responsibilities means we rely on our engineers to be self-motivated and quickly follow through on tasks without requiring close supervision. In return, our engineers are given leeway to use their own initiative.
Back to top