Analytics Intern, Spring 2017
Founded in 2010, Birchbox is a leading beauty and grooming retailer, offering an efficient, personalized way to discover and shop for new products. We redefined the e-commerce experience by pairing a monthly subscription of samples with a curated online shop featuring more than 800 best-in-class brands. Every month, subscribers receive five prestige samples tailored to their unique profile along with inspiring editorial content that creates a seamless path to purchase full-size versions of their favorites on Birchbox.com. In 2012, we launched Birchbox Man and expanded internationally, and in 2014, we opened our first brick-and-mortar store in Soho. Today we have more than one million subscribers and operate in five countries, including France, Spain, UK, and Belgium. Birchbox is headquartered in New York City.
Birchbox is looking for a high-energy, detail-oriented fall intern with a passion for analytics to support the Data Science, Analytics & Insights team. In this role, you will work closely with cross-functional teams, including Merchandising, Planning, and Marketing, to evaluate and optimize partnership and initiatives. Through this internship you will learn to apply your solid analytical skills to provide actionable insights for Birchbox and brand partners. This is a role with a huge opportunity to leverage data to inform business decisions across the company.
This internship will offer:
- Hands on experience working with real data, from data gathering to analyzing sales data and extracting actionable insights
- Technical skills:
- SQL: introduction to using queries to help establish relationships between data sets
- R: introduction to different packages and adapting scripts to draw customer insights and assess business performance
- Looker: strong understanding of data visualization and reporting features and tools
- Microsoft Excel: in-depth learning of the tool functionalities like pivot tables, conditional formatting, and formulas
- Exposure to various internal teams and a fun & exciting spring with Birchboxers!
- Gather data sets from various sources (e.g. SQL, Looker, Excel, R, Salesforce, Google Docs) and identify data-driven trends
- Extract key business metrics and actionable recommendations from survey & customer data
- Partner with Merchandising & Planning team to measure the ROI of brand campaigns
- Analyze sales trends and customer behavior
- Identify inefficiencies in current processes and proactively suggest improvements
- Support the team with day-to-day ad hoc analyses for key stakeholders, both internal and external
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate program
- Proficient in SQL and at least one data analysis program (R, Excel, etc)
- Strong interest in data analytics and solving problems with data
- Experience analyzing large data sets using SQL, spreadsheet software, or other technologies
- Solid communication skills
- You are organized, extremely detail-oriented, and comfortable structuring ambiguous requests
- Enthusiasm to learn and a positive attitude!
** Please note that this internship is for credit only. Candidates should be able to dedicate 20 hours per week during the Spring semester.
Meet Some of Birchbox's Employees
From your first moments browsing the Birchbox site ’til the moment that beautiful pink box arrives on your doorstep, David is behind the scenes orchestrating the smoothest, most effortless process possible.
Back to top