Vice President, Head of Neuromuscular and Muscle Disease Research Unit
- Cambridge, MA
Biogen aims to continue to improve its support of people living with SMA and build on its promising pipeline for ALS. Learning from these experiences and our close contacts with the neuromuscular community, we now also wish to develop innovative treatments for people living with Muscle Disease. The Vice President, Head of the Neuromuscular and Muscle Disease Research Unit (NMM RU), will serve as the single point of accountability for Research in this area. She or he will have the following core accountabilities:
- Develop a robust portfolio of preclinical programs for SMA, ALS and related neuromuscular disorders, as well as primary myopathies and other muscle diseases
- Collaborate with clinicians in the Neuromuscular Development Unit (NMDU) to design and execute a coherent, unified Neuromuscular and Muscle strategy
- Provide Life Cycle Management support for clinical and commercial Neuromuscular assets
- Build and lead a world-class research team of ~30 scientists (working with many other functions across R&D) to identify and validate new therapeutic approaches based on cutting-edge human and preclinical data
- Define an optimal combination of internal and external innovation to create a world-leading portfolio. Execute on licensing & partnership opportunities in collaboration with the External Portfolio Innovation Unit and Business Development
- As a core member of the Research Leadership Team, provide guidance on overall strategy and drive scientific and operational integration with other RUs and Translational Biology.
- Communicate & champion disease area strategy & portfolio priorities to all levels of the organization within R&D and beyond, as well as externally to Biogen.
- Lead an active publication strategy
- Identify and pursue innovative targets for neuromuscular disorders and muscle disease.
- Lead Research teams from early target discovery to IND to create a seamless, innovative and industry-leading pipeline from idea to clinical development
- For each program, define key experiments critical for target validation and in vitro and in vivo pharmacology, in order to establish a strong case for IND
- Manage and mentor research teams in the RU, as well as R&D Project Leaders, helping them to most effectively integrate changes in a rapidly evolving environment. Hire A+ talent in the organization and ensure the growth, development, and retention of staff
- Work effectively with the Head of Research and Director of the Neuromuscular Development Unit to ensure timely and seamless transition to clinical development for each program
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience in Neuromuscular Disease preclinical research within academia or pharmaceutical/biotech industry. Prior involvement in clinical development will be an advantage.
- Recognized internally and internationally for a deep understanding of relevant disease biology, with an outstanding track record in translational research and/or drug discovery
- Strong record of leading teams through line management and demonstrated ability to influence in a matrix environment and at the Leadership Team level
- Demonstrated ability to attract, develop, and retain talent
- Ability to drive to crisp, data-based decisions involving internal and external stakeholders so as to deliver on organizational goals
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels and present complex and/or new ideas with clarity and simplicity
PhD, MD or MD/PhD in a life science field
Biogen aims to continue to improve its support of people living with SMA and build on its promising pipeline for ALS. Learning from these experiences and our close contacts with the neuromuscular community, we now also wish to develop innovative treatments for people living with Muscle Disease
Back to top