Sr Engineer I, Gene Therapy Purification Process Development
- Cambridge, MA
The successful candidate will join a team of scientists responsible for the development of purification processes used for the clinical and commercial manufacturing of adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy vectors.
This individual will play a critical role in the development of a gene therapy downstream platform process and its application to Biogen’s gene therapy pipeline of products. This candidate will be involved in planning and execution of experimental studies for multiple aspects of purification development activities, including column and membrane chromatography (e.g., affinity, IEX, HIC), filtration and membrane separations (TFF, UFDF, microfiltration, viral filtration, sterile filtration, and depth filtration), scale-up, technology transfer to the manufacturing organizations and process validation.
This individual will be involved in investigating and evaluating novel technologies to improve current purification processes. The candidate will be able to independently design and execute experiments (DOE) to generate optimum and robust purification processes. In addition, this individual interacts with other departments such as cell culture development, analytical development, and manufacturing sciences and provides purification support to these groups. This individual will write and review high-quality technical development and technology transfer reports. The candidate will participate in scientific conferences and make contributions to scientific publications and patents
- A strong understanding of virus/viral vector properties and experience with the development of downstream processes for viral vectors and gene therapy products is highly desirable.
- Ability to generate, develop, and implement innovative ideas and deal with difficult scientific problems is essential.
- A strong understanding of the fundamentals of chromatography and/or membrane separations is required.
- Hands-on experience with AKTA chromatography and filtration systems is a plus.
- This individual will be expected to work independently, manage projects, supervise associate scientists, and participate in cross-functional, multidisciplinary project teams.
- A working knowledge of Good Manufacturing Procedures is a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are integral to this position.
- The ideal candidate will hold a Ph.D. (0-2 yrs) of experience in chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, biochemistry, or a related field. Alternatively, individuals with a Bachelor’s, (8 yrs) or Master’s degree (6yrs) and a demonstrated track record in the area of gene therapy or viral vaccines will be considered.
Biogen offers exciting and rewarding career opportunities in the areas of Gene Therapy - Purification Process Development. This position will play a critical role in the development of a gene therapy downstream platform process and its application to Biogen’s gene therapy pipeline of products.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Back to top