Senior Director - Marketing, MS
- Weston, MA
Reporting to the VP/Head Multiple Sclerosis Marketing, the Senior Director of Marketing will lead the U.S. TYSABRI® marketing team (7-9 colleagues) in the development and execution of overall U.S. brand strategies/plans which maximize profitable revenue growth for these products. Biogen has a storied MS franchise with more products and revenue in this therapeutic area than any other competitor, generating global revenues in excess of $8.6 Billion in 2018. This is a key leadership role carrying with it great visibility and the opportunity for advancement to many other senior roles within the company.
Key Areas of Responsibility
· STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT: Oversee the development of strategic U.S. brand plan for TYSABRI®. Serve as U.S. brand lead, designing creative campaigns, message development and ensuring consistent messaging throughout the field and alignment within the broader organization. Contribute as a thought leader on cross-functional MS strategy projects which require input from and have implications for functions outside of commercial. Understand pricing and reimbursement dynamics to identify obstacles and develop strategies and recommendations to address market challenges.
· EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP: Build and lead a best-in-class marketing team (7-9 direct reports) and inspire them to achieve superior performance. Set goal-based priorities for the team and each individual team member to ensure alignment with the broader marketing organization. Form strong and collaborative partnerships with key stakeholders which ensure organization alignment and success in brand strategy and messaging, competitive positioning, market awareness and sales execution. Support and enable the organization by providing expertise and partnering with peers and other senior business leaders to develop and implement solutions to challenging business issues. Develop and implement change management initiatives which facilitate/enable organizational growth and transformation and effect continuous improvement. Establish credibility throughout the organization and position self as an effective problem solver and driver of business growth and an exceptional leader of people.
· MARKETING EXECUTION: Develop brand goals and forecasts and measure results. Partner with Finance to understand performance dynamics and to evaluate business opportunities. Develop, track and assess key brand performance metrics. Ensure marketing programs and campaigns are executed effectively and efficiently and within budget. Develop programs and tools for optimal sales force effectiveness. Conduct in-depth competitive assessments in partnership with Business Intelligence team as necessary to provide insightful, actionable information regarding relevant business opportunities. Ensure strong ROI on all investments. Ensure that all marketing communications support plan objectives and are an effective expenditure of resources. Prepare presentations regarding current and future strategies.
· RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT: Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with thought leaders, key customers, distributors, vendors, consultants and professional organizations which advance Biogen’s business. Manage relationship with advertising agency and other key vendors and ensure expected deliverables are met. Interface with Medical Affairs to ensure seamless thought leader utilization and planning. Work closely with global marketing to ensure integration of global strategy for local market execution to achieve brand revenue and market share targets and work closely with other brand leads to grow the company’s leadership in the MS category. Demonstrate thought leadership with global cross-functional partners and the Program Development Team. Navigate senior levels of the organization and cultivate relationships to secure resources and commitment for key functional initiatives. Recognize the need for cross-functional initiatives and partner with and hold accountable all functions that contribute to brand results.
· COMPETITIVE EDGE: Implement marketing organization methodologies and processes for capturing and reporting metrics which measure and improve program effectiveness. Maintain up-to-date knowledge and an accurate assessment of the competitive landscape. Identify future market dynamics and opportunities to guide/refine the U.S. strategy. Remain abreast of industry trends and communicate relevant and meaningful information and insights regarding trends/developments. Ensure compliance with the law and all requirements.
- 20+ years of broad Commercial experience with 8-10 years of Marketing experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry or equivalent. Proven track record of career progression and success.
- Experience within MS preferred; experience in Neurology and/or specialty markets strongly preferred.
- Broad Commercial leader who thinks strategically and drives execution/results; experience in sales and other areas within Commercial highly desired (i.e. market access, market insights, patient services, sales management, etc.).
- Demonstrated track record of leading strong teams to achieve exceptional results; ability to manage, motivate and lead others, individually and as a team.
- Previous product launch experience required.
- Preference for experience in both large and small company environments.
- Proven experience in the development and execution of marketing strategies which achieve/exceed business objectives.
- Experience in driving brand results in a highly-competitive marketplace strongly preferred.
- Ability to identify priorities, align strategic and tactical plans and motivate a team of both direct reports and cross-functional partners.
- Global experience preferred but not required.
- Large P&L experience in excess of $1 Billion and experience working on brands generating large revenues.
- Strong leadership, planning and organization, analytics, decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated success in cross-functional leadership and influencing skills.
- Excellent communication/coordination/interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively write and deliver presentations to senior management, the broader Biogen population/colleagues and customer base.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and “roll-up your sleeves” culture. A self-starter who functions well both independently and within a team.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and priorities and to meet deadlines.
- Strong project and vendor management track record, including resource allocation and fiscal management.
- Demonstrated ability to work with multiple internal cross-functional teams and successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong scientific/medical aptitude, ability to communicate complex scientific/medical concepts in a simple and understandable manner.
- Knowledge of the AMA, ACCME, PhRMA, and FDA regulations associated with promotion and industry-supported scientific education activities and the ability to work in compliance with all appropriate regulatory guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, or related field required; MBA preferred.
Back to top