Head of Ophthalmology Research Unit
- Cambridge, MA
The Head of the Ophthalmology Research Unit (RU) will serve as the single point of accountability for Research in this area from discovery to IND, reporting to the SVP, Research. (S)he will have the following core accountabilities:
- Develop a robust portfolio of preclinical programs for diseases in which loss of retinal cells leads to irreversible blindness
- Collaborate with the Ophthalmology Development Unit to design and execute a coherent, unified Ophthalmology strategy
- Provide Life Cycle Management support for clinical and commercial Ophthalmology assets as they emerge
- Build and lead a world-class research team of ~15 scientists to identify and validate new therapeutic approaches based on cutting-edge human and preclinical data
- Define an optimal combination of internal and external innovation to create a world-leading portfolio. Execute on licensing & partnership opportunities in collaboration with the External Portfolio Innovation Unit and Business Development
- As a member of the Research Leadership Team, provide guidance on overall strategy and drive scientific and operational integration with other RUs and Translational Biology.
- Communicate & champion disease area strategy & portfolio priorities to all levels of the organization within and outside of R&D, as well as externally to Biogen.
- Identify and pursue innovative targets for Ophthalmology.
- Lead Research teams from early target discovery to IND to create a seamless, innovative and industry-leading pipeline from idea to clinical development
- For each program, define key experiments critical for target validation, and in vitro and in vivo pharmacology, in order to establish a strong case for IND
- Manage and mentor research teams in the RU, as well as R&D Project Leaders, focusing on Biogen elements Pioneering, Agile and Inclusive to most effectively integrate changes in a rapidly evolving environment. Hire A+ talent in the organization and ensure the growth, development, and retention of staff
- Lead Biogen’s external and internal innovation in Ophthalmology. Partner with Business Development and External Innovation to identify external opportunities
- Work effectively with the Head of Research and Director of the Ophthalmology Development Unit to ensure timely and seamless transition to clinical development for each program
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in Ophthalmology research within academia or pharmaceutical/biotech industry. Prior involvement in clinical development will be an advantage but is not a requirement.
- Recognized internally and internationally for a deep understanding of relevant disease biology.
- Strong record of leading teams and demonstrated ability to influence at the Leadership Team level
- Demonstrated ability to attract, develop, and retain talent
- Ability to drive data-based decisions involving internal and external stakeholders so as to deliver on organizational goals
- Ability to communicate effectively and present complex and/or new ideas with clarity and simplicity
PhD or MD/PhD in a life science field
Following its recent acquisition of the exciting ophthalmology portfolio of Nightstar Therapeutics, Biogen aims to become a leader in the Ophthalmology field.
Back to top