Director, Global Training and Field Medical Excellence Lead Biosimilars (BBU)
- Zug, Switzerland
Global Training and Field Medical Excellence Lead Biosimilars (BBU) role drives the strategy to align the people, processes, and systems of the Field Medical team to achieve medical goals, deeply engage with the medical community, and impact patient lives. Scientific training tailored to the different internal stakeholders and audiences is also within the scope of responsibilities.
Global Training and Field Medical Excellence Lead BBU:
a) Holds accountability for setting guidance on skills and competencies
- Provide strategic guidelines to Field Medical team (FM)
- Oversees FM strategies and tactics globally.
- Will work closely with the BBU Medical Director US in building of the US FM and ensures a consistency across the global organization
- Leads the BBU Medical Insights Taskforce
- Defines the operational targets and KPIs for the BBU FM
- Oversees development and performance of the medical field force in a matrix organization (dotted line manager for FM team members globally)
- Aligns with BBU Global Medical Functions and Medical Leads in the countries to define strategy and guidelines and provide oversight for FM support to data dissemination, educational activities and real-world evidence generation.
- Works cross-functionally with Global Marketing and Market Access BBU to strategically align and ensure the right support in the field from the Medical team.
b) Cross functional scientific and educational training:
- Ensures FM are regularly trained, guided and supported with the right scientific tools, performance metrics and soft skills
- Reviews and selects appropriate assets for the FM training
- Is accountable for the quality and consistency of their scientific and medical knowledge.
- Prepares onboarding training for BBU FM and Medical Leads
- Works closely with Scientific Affairs and a training manager(s) in identification of training needs for FM
- Supervises global training manager
c) Is member of the BBU Medical Leadership team:
- Supports the medical alliance workstream with Samsung Bioepis by providing critical market insights
- Works closely with Competitive Intelligence function in ensuring that the market dynamic is understood and appropriately tackled by the BBU Medical strategy; identifies the issues and suggest the risk mitigation tactics
d) Represents BBU in the whole Biogen organization
Aligns with Global Field Medical Effectiveness and EU+ Field Medical Strategy and Execution to ensure BBU is well fully aligned on the MSL Global initiatives .Leads the initiatives that strives to harmonize processes between BBU Medical and WWM that tackle FM (e.g. KPI, Veeva ..)
• Aligning on role responsibilities, expectations, and standards of BBU Field Medical
• Establish excellence as culture within the BBU FM organization (Medical Field efficiency and effectiveness)
• Support FM for the best performance and contribute to their professional and career development through facilitating professional skill development, training, coaching and mentoring.
• Enhance the cross-functional collaboration between FM and all stakeholders.
• Ensure strict medical compliance in FM daily activities.
• Develop and supervises individual onboarding of the new FM staff at the global level
• Supervised global training manager
• Act as a point of reference (dotted line) to the field medical team members
2. Planning and Strategy:
• Align with Global Functional Leads to define strategy and planning
• Cascading of the Global Medical strategy to FM strategy
• Guidance on communication topics on a regular basis
• Guidance on time allocation and focus priorities on a regular basis
• Regional and Local needs assessment
• Improve the coordination in the field between the different functions (Marketing and Market Access) in a compliance way.
• Follows up with competitive intelligence to ensure appropriateness of strategy
• Inform Samsung Bioepis on market insights across all markets
• Define, design and execute the training strategy for BBU Medical team that guarantee up to date scientific and medical knowledge as well as the right soft skills development
- Onboarding program
- Lead the assessment of knowledge gaps and identify scientific and soft skill training needs to meet the changing knowledge and capability requirements of Field Medical team
- Closely work with Scientific Affairs to identify the need of the development or adaptation of training content
- Partner with external experts to develop and implement trainings
- Develop and execute activities to measure the effectiveness in meeting educational objectives
• Manage training and Field Medical Excellence budget.
• Implementation of FM Excellence Platform and routine meeting organization to support the training (All FM monthly calls, All Hands FM meetings, Task Forces …)
4. Content tools:
• Working closely with Global Scientific Affairs team:
- Identify the needs and drive timely development and training on materials and tools
- Identifies the scientific training needs and tools based on the market insights
- Organized and provide the right visibility to available tools
- Support effective use of tools like Bigtican.
5. KME engagement:
• Ensure processes are in place for Key Medical Expert (KME) identification and engagement at the country, Regional and Global level.
• Train on how to develop and oversee KME engagement Plan (Improve engagement planning)
• Congresses: Maximize the opportunities that congresses provide for KME interaction
• Build up the capability and capacity of FM to ensure high quality scientific interactions with KME
• Medical insights: Coordinate the collection and reporting of consolidated KME insights that may impact Medical strategy.
6. BBU Medical Task Forces:
• Leading BBU Medical Task Forces, a pan European initiative that every FM member is expected to contribute to, fostering further cross-country collaboration, adding value to other functions and providing individual development opportunities
⁻ “FME Steering Committee” (SC): MSLs to represent all the team across Europe. It provides insights to Global Training and Field Medical Excellence Lead Biosimilars (BBU) and helps to steer projects through from start to completion
⁻ “Medical Insights Task Force” set up as a forum for sharing and discussing developments in the BBU-relevant fields and serve as internal educational platform open to all BBU staff. Main objectives:
o Keep up to date on science and contribute to the continuous scientific education that allow medical team to be reliable when interacting with KME.
o Provide the right key and relevant information to the broader functions along with the ‘So what?’ factor.
o Gather “insights” that help to refine our medical strategy as well as providing the right scientific background for other function´s strategies.
o Provide real-time alerts on key publications
o Contribute to Cross functional Competitive Intelligence Task force
o Guarantee cross-functional interaction
7. Best practice sharing:
• Create and maintain a Global FM Community to enable sharing of Best Practices, Lessons Learned and other relevant information.
• Plan, coordinate and run monthly FM network meetings to facilitate a forum for sharing of individual best practices (All FM monthly calls, FM Excellence Steering Committee Meetings,…)
• Identifies areas of common development interest
• VEEVA CRM optimization and training.
• Creating the correct metrics and KPIs that demonstrate activity and value and develop regular reports to demonstrate consistency in value of field medical across BBU (based around activities, insights, outcomes and activities).
• Provide ongoing assessment of FM competencies, skills, effectiveness and progress toward objectives
Minimum education requirements:
• Medical or Scientific qualification (M.D or PhD).
• Fluent in English
Minimum experience requirements:
• Experience from Health Care and patient management direct or indirect
• Has demonstrated MSL core behaviors and acquired knowledge and skills/competencies to the degree expected at this job level
• Matrix management or experience with the Global, Regional and other key functions in Europe
• Ideally, medical/scientific experience in Immunology, Rheumatology or IBD
• Working knowledge Compliance environment.
Back to top