Associate Director, IT Category Leader
- Cambridge, MA
At Biogen, our mission is clear: we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. One of the world’s first global biotechnology companies, Biogen was founded in 1978 and today has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis, has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy, and is focused on advancing neuroscience research programs in Alzheimer’s disease and dementia, MS and neuroimmunology, movement disorders, neuromuscular disorders, acute neurology, neurocognitive disorders, pain, and ophthalmology. Biogen also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics.
Global Business Services and Business Optimization
The Global Business Services (GBS) and Business Optimization team is a newly formed organization established to transform Biogen’s business processes to set a platform to scale global operations, fuel commercial growth and the innovation pipeline. Further, GBS will provide further value by developing and delivering a suite of business solutions and support services that are valued by internal customers. GBS will deliver services by leveraging a global delivery model, operational transparency and metrics, leveraging global best practices, and a service-oriented process improvement culture. All solutions will be supported by strong business cases and ultimately monitored for the effectiveness and efficiency against benchmarks and service level agreements.
The vision of GBS at Biogen is to be recognized as a world-class Global Business Services organization driven by the desire for excellence in its people, business solutions, execution and partnerships with internal customers.
The GBS Business Optimization team will champion building a continuous improvement culture that other parts of the organization will recognize and seek out for business support. We are developing a performance-based culture supported by tools, training, and well-defined accountability, where people can build their career or prepare for a role in the wider business or elsewhere within GBS. We seek individuals who can enhance our team with their knowledge, skills, innovation, collaboration and “can do” attitude.
Associate Director, IT Category Leader
• Responsible for long term planning, strategy development, performance management, savings and continuous improvement of Biogen’s IT Category, $250M+ in spend
• Ensure Category leadership understands priorities and needs for category under responsibility. Make recommendations to leadership from a customer standpoint, by aggregating the voice of the internal customer.
• Ensures resourcing and bandwidth to meet the business needs
• Identifies and leads CI initiatives in partnership with stakeholders
• This role reports to the Senior Director, Global Business Services Categories and has 3 direct reports.
• Responsible to lead Biogen’s IT category (and sub category leaders as applicable) to develop and implement category and sub category strategies for:
• IT Hardware
• IT Services
• IT Software and Support
• Support globalization of processes to drive efficiency, leverage, and savings
• Leads cross-functional teams using spend data analytics, market research and cost modeling to identify and leverage high value opportunities that deliver innovative and sustainable value, operational efficiencies and risk mitigation to the business
• Partners with critical stakeholders and builds relationships that facilitate the realization of business value and savings
• Responsible for performance managing and continually improving category strategies
• Continually monitors the market to understand leading practices and changes in market conditions
• Develops and implements sourcing, negotiating and contracting strategies to achieve category goals
• Provides direction and strategy for catalogs, Guided Buying, and Sourcing playbook development
• Ensures efficiency of events through appropriate use of buying channels, catalogs, and RFx events and champions ongoing continuous improvement.
• Partners with category analysts and procurement operations to execute category strategy/plan to maximum value
• Responsible for supplier management activities including resolution. Ensuring the appropriate level of oversight, direction and development based on the defined criteria
• Serves as a supplier relationship manager for key suppliers
• Responsible for supplier evaluations including understanding capabilities and risk prior to and during the relationship
• Partners with the business stakeholders at appropriate levels for the respective category and facilitates resolution and communication of all other procurement activities
• Value Creation including savings
• Category performance metrics (from category plan)
• Spend Under Category Management
• e-Enabled Sourcing Projects
• Sourcing events planned v. executed
• Diversity Spend
• Innovation projects, value created from supply base
• Customer satisfaction and business partner feedback
• Implemented CI and associated value
• Supplier performance
• Accomplished in category management (5years+) and has subject expertise for IT Procurement (3years+)
• Strong experience with negotiation of contract and commercial terms and conditions and able to coach others (5years+)
• Strong leadership and collaboration skills with ability to build effective relationships and influence peers and key stakeholders.
• Excellent interpersonal, motivational and leadership skills
• Communicates and influences effectively, with the ability to motivate and influence others inside and outside of own function
• Ability to deal with change and ambiguity effectively
• Strong project management skills with ability to plan tasks, assign resources, manage progress, remove barriers, manage change, resolve conflict, build consensus, and motivate team members across multiple projects concurrently (5years+)
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to tailor messages to the given audience. Can present information in a clear and concise manner
• Ability to prioritize, organize and multitask in a flexible, fast-paced and challenging environment
• Strong global leadership & influence skills that inspire trust, collaboration, operational excellence (4years+)
• Strong process and cost improvement skills
• C.P.M./CPSM certification desirable
• University degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience required; advanced/graduate degree preferred.
• 10-12 years experience
Responsible for long term planning, strategy development, performance management, savings and continuous improvement of Biogen’s IT Category
Back to top