It's not just cliché. The heart of Billtrust is our people. Our executives know it, our co-workers believe it, and our clients recognize it. Billtrust is enjoying remarkable success with significant year-over-year growth over the past 15 years. And, we're transforming the industry with leading-edge technologies that enable us to deliver our payment cycle management solution from the cloud. Our team members not only drive that expansion, they benefit by it with empowerment and rewarding professional progress.
Billtrust: where talent and opportunity meet. Work Hard. Have Fun. Make History.
What you'll do:
Billtrust is hiring its first in-house General Counsel to step in and make an immediate impact. Reporting to our Chief Financial Officer, you will balance strategy with tactical execution while providing support across all business functions. This challenging role will require mastery of a broad range of legal disciplines, contract negotiation, privacy and employment matters while working across functions and juggling multiple priorities. You will also define future legal department expansion.
- Drive overall legal strategy while managing day-to-day legal operations
- Provide counsel to the executive team and Board of Directors on a range of compliance, risk management, and corporate governance matters
- Provide practical legal advice and support across all business functions including Sales, Business Development, Product Management, Marketing and HR
- Review, draft and negotiate a broad range of complex agreements by working collaboratively with business and functional teams
- Manage, in coordination with HR, legal employment policies and policy violation investigations
- Actively partner in execution of corporate M&A, business development, and partnership transactions
- Develop and execute global strategies related to user generated content, privacy and intellectual property
- Manage our legal, corporate governance and compliance-related IPO readiness efforts and develop appropriate systems to ensure ongoing compliance with SEC regulations
- Implement best practices and operating standards within the legal and compliance team
- Assist with resolving legal-related disputes with third parties, managing outside litigation resources as necessary
- Assist in ensuring compliance with all applicable U.S. laws and regulations through the development and implementation of compliance programs
- Manage risk management and advise the Executive team on risk management strategies to be implemented
What you'll bring to the team:
- Proven ability to successfully lead legal strategy and execution for a high-growth company – 5+ years of relevant, progressive experience
- In-house experience in preparing a technology company for an initial public offering; Relevant experience within a public company highly-desired
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; ability to collaborate on interdepartmental issues with a sense of urgency
- Excellent legal and practical judgment with strong problem-solving skills
- Results-oriented, with a high sense of urgency and good time management skills
- Must be flexible with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to influence others and gain buy-in at the team, peer and executive level
- Strong understanding of Sarbanes Oxley as it relates to corporate governance and risk management
- JD and Admission to the NJ, NY or PA State Bar or ability to waive into NJ State Bar or willingness to take the State Bar
- Experience in a Software-as-a-Service (SaaS), Fintech, software, or product-centric business
What you'll get:
- Competitive salary, stock options and 401(k) with company match: We appreciate our employees and we make sure they know it.
- Benefits: We offer each individual employee a healthcare package that is 100% paid for by Billtrust.
- Open PTO: Work-life balance is important. We believe in giving our employees time to truly relax and recharge.
- Paid Parental Leave: To keep our employees and their families healthy.
- A Lively Culture: Ping-pong, bean bag toss, hackathons - We enjoy friendly competition.
- Casual Dress: Every day is “Casual Friday’, we want you to be comfortable when you come to work.
- Minimal Bureaucracy: An entrepreneurial environment of ownership and accountability allows you to get work done.
- Convenience: Our office is conveniently located in Central Jersey within walking distance of the Hamilton train station.
Meet Some of Billtrust's Employees
VP, Software Development
Steve leads the Development Team that works on cash application products for Billtrust. He helps ensure the group is as successful as possible by building, testing, and deploying software.
Back to top