Senior Director, Game Design
SkyRocket Studios creates midcore and casual mobile games to entertain vibrant communities of players every day! Through a combination of internal-development and second-party partnerships, we have released hit free-to-play games which run the gamut of genres – from puzzle favorites like Cascade and the Fairway Solitaire franchise, to the fan-favorite RPG, Dungeon Boss.
SkyRocket Studios is an integrated part of the Big Fish community of studios (AKA “The Pond”). Located at the Seattle Headquarters in Lower Queen Anne, our offices are conveniently located on the beautiful Puget Sound, just outside the hustle-and-bustle of Downtown. We’re a short walk away from great Seattle attractions like Seattle Center, the Olympic Sculpture Garden, shops and restaurants at the pier, and a variety of food truck hot-spots. Need commuting options? We’re right along multiple bus routes for the transit-takers, the Elliott Bay trail for cyclists, and have a secure on-site garage for four-wheeled commuters. Our facilities are built around work and play, with state of the art tools and software, and amenities that make work fun! Take a break in one of our game rooms, refresh yourself with a free snack or beverage, or get out for some fresh air on one of our waterside balconies.
Want to be a part of a fast-moving studio on the rise? Elevate your career with SkyRocket studios!
We’re seeking a mid-core Game Design Director to join our dynamic studio leadership team. You will drive growth and innovation in our expanding mid-core product strategy by bringing your wealth of knowledge in MMO design, community enabled gameplay, and free-to-play systems and features. Come prepared to lead a team of talented designers and collaborate with studio leadership to drive the next evolution of mobile gaming!
- Be the mid-core design director in a highly successful studio to take the games and studio to the next level of success.
- Lead the start of a new game and support the other lead designers in each games’ creative evolution through soft launch and live ops, starting with the progress-to-date.
- Review all 1st and 2nd party mid-core designs and define and collaboratively develop new game design and tune elements informed by key metrics from game data analysts, product manager, user testing, production, artists and engineers
- Work in a highly iterative environment where you will design, release, test and change games based on ever changing data and player behavior through both qualitative and quantitative data
- Work with a highly collaborative group of Art, Engineering, Production, Product Management, Design and UX peers to ensure that we are fostering great teams, with strong technology in order to build incredible games.
- Manage several designers across a growing number of products within the studio. Set performance expectations, maintain quarterly reviews, and lead through mentorship. Evaluate the need for talented designers.
- Interface with executive staff to understand and reinforce studio goals, help define studio direction, and elevate design issues as they occur.
- Effectively articulate the vision and goals to team members, support teams, and management. Thoughtfully evaluate all feedback to incorporate or refute relevant ideas with sound reasoning/data.
- Propose and create fun, innovative game ideas and designs targeted at the mid-core F2P gamer audience
- Create the best-in-class mobile games. A successful candidate will have a deep passion for games and an innate desire to always learn
REQUIRED ABILITIES, ACHIEVEMENTS, AND XP
- 10+ years of professional game design experience
- Bachelors degree required
- 5+ years managing a team of game designers
- At least 5 years combined experience on a successfully shipped title in more than one of the following areas on mobile and canvas environments:
- F2P game design
- Community based game design
- Midcore game design
- Live services support
- Mobile game design
- Demonstrable expertise at solving problems through collaboration, consensus, and prioritization
- Excellent communication skills; ability to be proactive and assertive in a diplomatic manner
- A passion for all things F2P with a balanced passion for long term fun and engaging mechanics
- Intuitive grasp of appealing interaction design and social dynamics is also desired
We’ve come a long way, and continue to grow! Since our founding in 2002, Big Fish has been an industry leader in mobile, free-to-play casual games, and are now embarking on our latest adventure in the mid-core space! With just over 600 employees across our Seattle headquarters, Oakland studio, and Luxembourg office, the Big Fish Pond includes six studios, each with a unique personality and set of goals. We are where gamers, artists, and executives alike come together to collaborate and grow, while also enjoying the opportunities and benefits of a larger company. We’ve got you covered with great benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, retirement options, transportation and fitness discounts, and great work-life balance!
Want to discover more about life at Big Fish? Check us out on TheMuse.com!
Tired of playing the wrong kind of “games”? Get in on the Fun and Games!
Back to top