Senior Data Engineer
Since its founding in 2002, Big Fish has been the world’s largest producer and distributor of casual games, with titles which continuously land us at the top of app store charts. Today, we’re bounding into the mid-core space, exploring new and exciting forms of gameplay, and producing more fun than ever! Big Fish is home to six individual studios, each with its own unique style of game-play. Together, we’re united under a common goal: to produce and develop the very best in mobile gaming, and bring fun and entertainment to our millions of customers across the globe!
The Big Fish Business Intelligence Engineering Team is committed to continuous improvement, both personal and professional. We use agile practices and principles to continuously improve our team and ensure we provide valuable output while maintaining an excellent work/life balance. We focus on having a culture that is both fun and promotes learning so our team can grow and have a good time doing it. We want our new team members to enjoy what they do, whether it is completing a project, participating in our learning days, or joining in on team events.
Tired of playing the wrong kinds of “games”? Join the Pond!
Big Fish is a data-driven company from the top down. We’re looking for skilled and passionate individuals who want to be more than a cog in the machine. We are seeking an experienced Data Engineer who can work across a range of technologies and interact with stakeholders/partners across the company. The perfect candidate can apply a breadth of knowledge, deep technical skills, and strategic thinking to build custom data pipelines and business intelligence/analytic systems using massively paralleled processing (MPP) systems.
Data Engineers at Big Fish work on a variety of platforms including Netezza, Hadoop, and Tableau to solve our company’s most significant data challenges and accomplish key strategic business initiatives. We’re looking for effective communicators that like to work in an extremely collaborative team environment creating tools/processes/patterns to handle performance/scale/availability. You’ll have the opportunity to wear multiple hats, learn lots of new technologies, have direct access to customers, and have a direct impact on the business.
REQUIRED ABILITIES, ACHIEVEMENTS, AND XP
- Significant experience working with multi-terabyte data sets using relational databases (RDBMS), SQL, and No-SQL
- Strong understanding of schedulers, workload management, availability, scalability and distributed data platforms
- Experience developing large scale analytical databases/platforms/data warehouses and performing ETL across multiple operating systems (Microsoft and Linux)
- Experience in large-scale production software development using multiple languages on multiple platforms
- Experience using Agile/Scrum methodologies to iterate quickly on product changes, developing user stories and working through backlogs
- Experience in large-scale software development (Java/C# preferred)
- Experience with data modeling & schema design for data warehouses
- Experience in data analysis
- Deep understanding and experience with Hadoop internals, Hive, Java, and Map/Reduce
- Experience with IBM PureData Systems for Analytics (PDA)/Netezza
- Experience with IBM Open Platform/BigInsights
A successful candidate typically has 5-8 years of concentrated work experience across most “required” and some “preferred” experience areas.
We’ve come a long way, and continue to grow, with just over 600 employees across our Seattle headquarters, Oakland studio, and Luxembourg office. Located in Lower Queen Anne, our corporate offices are conveniently located on the beautiful Puget Sound, just outside the hustle-and-bustle of Downtown. We’re a short walk from great Seattle attractions like Seattle Center, the Olympic Sculpture Garden, shops and restaurants at the pier, and a variety of food truck hot-spots.
Need commuting options? We’re right along multiple bus routes for the transit-takers, the Elliot Bay trail for cyclists, and have a secure on-site garage for two and four-wheeled commuters. Our facilities are built around work and play, with state of the art tools and software, and amenities that make work fun! Take a break in one of our game rooms, refresh yourself with a free snack or beverage, or get out for some fresh air on one of our waterside balconies.
On top of all this, we’ve got you covered with great benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance, retirement options, transportation and fitness discounts, and great work-life balance!
Want to discover more about life at Big Fish? Check us out on TheMuse.com!
Be the next Big Fish in the Pond!
Back to top