Game Design Manager
Life at Big Fish Games
Big Fish Games is an innovative developer and world-class publisher of a diverse portfolio of casual game franchises, including Big Fish Casino, Gummy Drop, Fairway Solitaire, Jackpot Magic Slots and Cooking Craze. Founded in 2002, we serve millions of players every day and are dedicated to providing players with the opportunity to play, connect, compete and discover anywhere and on any device. We are dedicated to enhancing life through exceptional play.
Our four core beliefs are what makes working at Big Fish Games unique. We believe in a work environment that:
- Creates opportunities for impact
- Shares a passion for challenge
- Cultivates a spirit of creativity
- Thrives through collaboration
Summary and Mission
SkyRocket Studios is the team within Big Fish responsible for creating chart topping mobile games like Fairway Solitaire, Cascade, and Fairway Solitaire Blast. Through a combination of internal development teams and second party partnerships, we are committed to developing innovative and engaging hit games for mobile. By applying our creative energy to solid technologies and rapidly iterating, we are developing fun and engaging games for large and ever-expanding groups of loyal fans. At SkyRocket, we work every day to delight our customers.
We’re seeking a Game Design Manager with a successful track record in designing Free-to-Play mobile games with an emphasis on casual puzzle products. In this position, you will lead the design efforts of a project with a constantly evolving live game service.
The candidate must provide strong leadership to their team, inspire confidence and enthusiasm in team members, and convincingly communicate the game design plans, reasoning, and design goals to team members and studio leadership.Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for the design direction of the game, both short and long-term, and ensuring the quality of its execution.
- Interact with studio stakeholders to understand their needs and requirements for the project, represent the project’s progress and intent, and integrate the external needs with the internal plan
- Define what the game needs, and validate when it’s successfully delivered; provide actionable feedback on where it’s falling short
- Owns the game’s “Big Picture”; Interested in the details, and responsible for tying it all together
- Effectively articulate and evangelize design ideas, reasoning, and goals to team members, support teams, and studio leadership to ensure alignment and encourage buy in
- Always has an eye toward the future - looking for pitfalls, concerns, and areas to improve to the game before they become a concern
- Assure the creation, timely maintenance, and promotion of project design materials, conceptual design documents, and technical design documents
- Work with Lead PM to create and maintain a vision that supports a successful monetization and engagement strategy.
- Works with Lead Producer to balance product needs with development constraints, and ensure we’re delivering the best possible product while meeting our time and resource commitments.
- Work in a highly iterative environment where you and the team will design, release, test and change games based on constantly evolving data and player behavior through both qualitative and quantitative data
- Manage the goals and priorities of the design team. Provide direction and feedback on design work. Manage and mentor a team of 2-3 game designers.
- 6+ years of professional game design experience and 3+ years experience leading and mentoring a team (including performance management)
- At least 3 years combined experience on a successfully shipped title in more than one of the following areas on mobile and canvas environments:
- F2P game design
- Card or Puzzle game design
- Live services support
- Mobile game design
- Demonstrable expertise at solving problems through collaboration, consensus, and prioritization
- Excellent communication skills; ability to be proactive and assertive in a diplomatic manner
- A passion for all things F2P with a balanced passion for long term fun and engaging mechanics
- Intuitive grasp of appealing interaction design and social dynamics is also desired
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience required
- Unity engine experience a plus
Big Fish Games is an equal opportunity employer. We bring unique talents together to build something special that’s why we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
Back to top