Data Scientist II
Self Aware Games creates free-to-play games that connect people all over the world and across platforms! Our Big Fish Casino franchise tops the charts among mobile social casino games, and we keep the party going with mini-games, in-game events, and other social hits!
We are looking for flexible individuals who have a strategic viewpoint and are able to grow as we grow our Business Intelligence Analytics team in Oakland. You will be part of our Self Aware Games Analytics team, which is a small group of dedicated analysts whose primary focus is to support product and marketing teams with valuable analysis, research and insights.
The Data Scientists are responsible for applying a wide variety of statistical and analytical techniques to business problems to glean valuable insights in support of key strategic business initiatives. They apply analytical rigor and statistical methods to data and are comfortable manipulating and analyzing complex, high-volume, and high-dimensionality data from varying sources. Incumbents are effective communicators capable of independently driving issues to resolution and communicating insights to non-technical audiences.
- Work closely with the business to assist in investigations, understand problems and identify insights and opportunities
- Develop new insights and analyses that inform decisions and help us continue to improve key metrics
- Understand and consume data from dimensional models
- Understand how to integrate multiple systems and datasets and able to link and mash up distinctive data sets to discover new insights.
- Analyze game-specific and user-specific data and proactively make recommendations to Product Managers, Game Producers, Game Designers and Marketing
- Apply statistical methods for analytics projects in order to support business decisions
- Prototype and deploy learning models using a language of your choice
- Devise and run A/B tests to directly and indirectly drive KPI improvements
- Compile datasets using advanced SQL queries for exploratory analysis and, use visualization techniques to communicate insights and recommendations to business.
- Generate reports with findings and communicate these effectively via written, oral and visual methods.
REQUIRED ABILITIES, ACHIEVEMENTS, AND XP
- Bachelor’s degree or 3-5 years equivalent work experience in Computer Science or related discipline such as Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, etc.
- Skilled with using SQL, including knowledge of sub queries, building and updating tables as well as aggregate and windowing functions
- Experience working with business teams to identify and define problems
- Experience using descriptive and inferential statistics to analyze and present findings
- Experience with effectively writing, presenting and communicating research results to other teams.
- Experience using visualization techniques for presenting data and analysis - knowledge of Tableau is a plus.
- Experience using at least one programming language (Python or R preferred) to move and parse datasets
- Experience with building and implementing predictive models, including data preparation/cleaning, model validation and evaluation
- Knowledge of supervised and unsupervised learning methods to derive deep analytic insights
- Experience with building and maintaining ETL processes and flat tables
- Big data experience (Hive, Spark, HDFS) a big plus!
- Driven by curiosity and have a desire to go beneath the surface of a problem to ask the right business questions and identify potential answers that can be tested and proven
Want to discover more about life at Big Fish? Check us out on TheMuse.com!
Come be the next Big Fish in the Pond!
Meet Some of Big Fish Games's Employees
Senior Game Producer
Meg works to assemble and develop a talented mid-core team with cohesive skills sets to create Big Fish Games titles together far into the future.
Back to top