VP, People Ops
A Better company
We believe homeownership is valuable. Here’s why: Not only has homeownership historically been one of the most reliable ways to build wealth, it also strengthens ties to the community and contributes positively to overall well-being. The way the mortgage industry operates today makes it harder and harder for people to consider homeownership -- so we set out to change that. The traditional mortgage process is designed to confuse, riddled with unnecessary fees, takes too much time, and is built on a foundation of misaligned incentive structures. It’s time Americans had a Better option.
A Better option is one that puts customers in control of the largest financial transaction of their lives. It’s built with best-in-class technology, supported by non-commissioned staff, and offers affordable financing options that meet customers where they are.
Since 2016, we’ve already funded over $1B in loans, raised $75M in capital, and won the NerdWallet Best Online Mortgage Lender for Customer Service and we’re just getting started.
Trying to modernize a decades old industry isn’t easy, but it is supremely rewarding. Become part of a Better team.
A Better opportunity
As Better’s VP, People Operations, you will be the primary champion of all People related matters and will be responsible for making Better a great place to work. You will develop and implement people strategies that align with our business objectives and values. We are looking for someone who shares our passion for building companies the right way and be a key ambassador of our vision, mission and values. This is expected to be an executive-level position and will be based in New York City.
Responsibilities will include:
- Provide leadership on all People related matters at Better and serve as strategic advisor to CEO, CFO, Executive team and the Board
- Build and manage a world-class People Operations team that attracts, motivates, retains and develops exceptional talent across our three offices in NYC, Oakland and Gurgaon (India)
- Develop and enforce core People philosophies, policies and processes for the company including but not limited to compensation and benefits, workforce planning, org structure and design, employment practices
- Partner with hiring managers to recruit and onboard talent to scale the company in line with our strategic objectives and the values of the organization
- Partner with business units to grow and develop people across the organization including but not limited to Learning and Development (L&D), performance management, career progression
- Develop workplace practices that support an exceptional employee experience and ensuring compliance with federal, state and local employment regulations
- Oversee the growth and maintenance of our office facilities and infrastructure to support a conducive work environment for all our employees
Attributes we value
- An experienced People leader with 8+ years of experience in HR / People preferably with prior experience as a HR Business Partner and in recruiting
- Prior experience leading a sizable HR / People team in a high-growth startup
- Prior experience building (vs. just maintaining) People philosophies, policies and processes
- A strong team player with track record of working cross-functionally with senior business leaders
- Ability to think and operate both strategically (10,000 ft) and tactically (10 ft)
- Optimistic and results-driven, even (especially!) during high-intensity situations
- An open and approachable communication style
Back to top