VP, People Ops
A Better company
It’s hard not to be excited about mortgages when you’re actively upending the conventions of a $13 trillion dollar business that impacts over 200 million Americans.
At Better, we’re building a next-generation mortgage platform from the ground up. We’ve already funded $1 billion in loans, and we’re just getting started. Our team combines leading software engineers from tech giants like Google and Spotify with financial talent from firms like Blackstone and Bridgewater, creating a hybrid institution unlike any other.
Rife with antiquated processes, the home finance industry has remained fundamentally unchanged since the 1970s. As we break down the entrenchments that bar so many from the benefits of homeownership, we adhere to three basic principles:
- Humans are better than computers at expressing empathy, understanding individual situations, and creating solutions to help people. Let them.
- Computers are more efficient than humans at working with massive data sets, performing complex calculations, and validating thousands of rules. Use them.
- The rules of the status quo are broken. Change them.
Join our mortgage revolution.
A Better opportunity
As Better’s VP, People Operations, you will be the primary champion of all People related matters and will be responsible for making Better a great place to work. You will develop and implement people strategies that align with our business objectives and values. We are looking for someone who shares our passion for building companies the right way and be a key ambassador of our vision, mission and values. This is expected to be an executive-level position and will be based in New York City.
Responsibilities will include:
- Provide leadership on all People related matters at Better and serve as strategic advisor to CEO, CFO, Executive team and the Board
- Build and manage a world-class People Operations team that attracts, motivates, retains and develops exceptional talent across our three offices in NYC, Oakland and Gurgaon (India)
- Develop and enforce core People philosophies, policies and processes for the company including but not limited to compensation and benefits, workforce planning, org structure and design, employment practices
- Partner with hiring managers to recruit and onboard talent to scale the company in line with our strategic objectives and the values of the organization
- Partner with business units to grow and develop people across the organization including but not limited to Learning and Development (L&D), performance management, career progression
- Develop workplace practices that support an exceptional employee experience and ensuring compliance with federal, state and local employment regulations
- Oversee the growth and maintenance of our office facilities and infrastructure to support a conducive work environment for all our employees
Attributes we value
- An experienced People leader with 8+ years of experience in HR / People preferably with prior experience as a HR Business Partner and in recruiting
- Prior experience leading a sizable HR / People team in a high-growth startup
- Prior experience building (vs. just maintaining) People philosophies, policies and processes
- A strong team player with track record of working cross-functionally with senior business leaders
- Ability to think and operate both strategically (10,000 ft) and tactically (10 ft)
- Optimistic and results-driven, even (especially!) during high-intensity situations
- An open and approachable communication style
Meet Some of Better Mortgage's Employees
Founder & CEO
It's not just about having the best idea—it's about actually making it happen.
Back to top