A Better Company
Better is revolutionizing the $12 trillion mortgage business. Americans pay more money for housing than they do for almost all other things combined — 33% of personal consumption expenditure. Yet for how common getting a home loan is, the process still takes 49 days, costs over $5,000 in administrative fees, and requires over 225 pages of paper and endless phone calls with commissioned loan brokers. We think this is a poor user experience — so we’re fixing it.
First, we bought an existing mortgage bank and brought together great engineers from companies like Spotify and Google with folks who've been making mortgages for years. Now, we’re leveraging advances in data science, machine learning and UX design to make mortgages simple, transparent, and delightful. We currently give consumers rates in 3 seconds and approvals 3 minutes, not days. Last month alone, we funded over $60 million in mortgages. This coming year we will do over $1 billion — and we’re just getting started.
Help make financing a home better for all Americans.
A Better Opportunity
As the UX Designer, your role will be to design the digital products that borrowers use to apply for mortgages through Better, and that Better employees use to process loan applications. While user interfaces (UI) for web and mobile are the most important artifacts we create, great designers are curious people who think about the whole experience, approaching design problems from business, user and technical perspectives.
In this role you will work with product managers, engineers, and mortgage operations professionals to identify new ways to improve the experience and design the UI to make it happen.
- Creating product design artifacts such as process flows, wireframes, and prototypes
- Showing a clear understanding of goals, requirements, user profiles, and context of use
- Working effectively with mortgage operations professionals, product managers, and engineers
- Performing user research to understand user needs and evaluate design solutions for usability
- Working within and evolving Better design standards
Attributes we value:
- High level of skill in interaction design, visual design, front-end development, or another UX discipline
- Secondary skills in at least one other UX discipline
- Experience designing transactional applications for both desktop and mobile screens
- Strong portfolio of work showing design artifacts such as process flows, high-fidelity wireframes, and functional prototypes
- Knowledge of Material Design standards is preferred, experience with an established design language is required
- Understanding of qualitative user research methods
- Experience with data visualization practices is a plus
- Proficiency working in Mac OS with software tools such as Sketch (or another wireframing tool) and Axure (or another prototyping tool)
- Bachelor’s degree in a design-related field is preferred
Back to top