User Interface Engineer (Front End)
A Better company
At Better, we're making getting a mortgage fast, simple, and delightful. Recognized as the technology leader in mortgage lending, Better provides borrowers a superior home financing experience to any previously possible.
From our offices in Downtown NYC, we're revolutionizing a $12 trillion industry by simultaneously building the future of real estate and upgrading the consumer credit experience. Our team integrates leading software engineers from companies like Spotify and Google into a mortgage bank that has three generations of experience, creating an institution unlike any other. Together we’re building groundbreaking technology driven by user-centric design principles, and the goal of making the mortgage experience what it should be – an exciting and delightful part of the biggest transaction in most people's lives.
A Better opportunity
Help us hack a $12 trillion industry by building a product that will positively impact millions of people. Our company is still small, and you will be a big part of defining the technical direction and culture. We offer highly competitive compensation and full benefits, as well as meaningful equity. We also provide yummy lunch every day (today is Korean BBQ!).
We are working hard to make the mortgage experience not only better, but great, and we need great front end development skills to do it. Every behavior and interaction matters in conveying meaning to our borrowers, helping them easily navigate a complex process. Our first front end engineer will play a key role on our tech team to help us create delightful experiences in a sound and scalable way.
Attributes we value
- You believe no detail is too small to impact the user experience and you’re relentlessly dedicated to working through all of those details.
- You’re equally relentlessly dedicated to speed — in every area: loading, frame rate, iteration, feedback, and more.
- You have great interpersonal skills and a willingness to go above and beyond when collaborating with designers and engineers.
- It is not required but great if you are familiar with some frameworks such as Ember, React, Angular, D3.
- If you have experience working with backend (Node.js or Python) that’s also great, but not a strict requirement.
- We also really value (but do not require) contributions to open source projects
- You can be a trusted partner to the backend engineers. Your focus will be on the front end, but you will need to be able to work with other engineers on build systems and other middleware.
- Likewise, experience with animation/motion graphics would be a bonus.
- The role doesn’t formally require you to be responsible for design, but the best candidates will have sound aesthetic instincts and good design judgment.
As part of your application
- Link to a portfolio, ideally with some code samples on Github
Meet Some of Better Mortgage's Employees
Head of Product
Fil filters the needs and preferences of users to the engineers who build Better’s features. He also works with the Operations Team to improve productivity and tighten the iteration cycle.
Back to top