A Better Company
At Better, we're making getting a mortgage fast, simple, and delightful. Recognized as the technology leader in mortgage lending, Better provides borrowers a superior home financing experience to any previously possible.
From our offices in Downtown NYC, we're revolutionizing a $12 trillion industry; building the future of real estate and consumer credit. Our team combines leading software engineers from companies like Spotify and Google with a mortgage bank that has three generations of experience. Together we’re building groundbreaking technology driven by user-centric design principles, and making the mortgage experience what it should be – an exciting and delightful part of the biggest transaction in most Americans’ lives.
A Better Opportunity
Better is looking for a Residential Mortgage Loan Underwriter to join the team. This person will be responsible for evaluating borrower financial and credit information in tandem with property valuations in order to make lending decisions based upon established underwriting guidelines. They will be expected to work closely with all members of the production team throughout the process to bring loans to closing.
- Underwrite and decision agency conforming and jumbo residential mortgage loans
- Verify and analyze all necessary financial information and documentation; ensure that loan files contain all necessary credit and legal documents
- Review appraisal reports and communicate with appraisers to resolve any discrepancies discovered in appraisal
- Perform thorough analysis of applicant's income and expense data, self-employment documentation, credit reports, and property valuations in order to affirm borrower qualifies for loan
- Calculate qualifying ratios, determine creditworthiness; provide risk opinions
Attributes We Value
- 3+ years of experience underwriting FNMA, FHLMC, FHA and Jumbo mortgages
- Expert knowledge of Desktop Underwriter (DU) & Loan Prospector (LP)
- Extensive knowledge of all mortgage loan documentation
- Categorical understanding of the mortgage lending process
- Ability to carry out requisite loan calculations (DTI, LTV, etc.)
- Capable of preparing reports of findings
- Ability to handle multiple files simultaneously
- Capable of communicating clearly with both borrowers and management
- Perform well in team environments
Back to top