A Better company
At Better, we're making getting a mortgage fast, simple, and delightful. Recognized as the technology leader in mortgage lending, Better provides borrowers a superior home financing experience to any previously possible.
From our offices in Downtown NYC, we're revolutionizing a $12 trillion industry by simultaneously building the future of real estate and upgrading the consumer credit experience. Our team integrates leading software engineers from companies like Spotify and Google into a mortgage bank that has three generations of experience, creating an institution unlike any other. Together we’re building groundbreaking technology driven by user-centric design principles, and the goal of making the mortgage experience what it should be – an exciting and delightful part of the biggest transaction in most people's lives.
A Better opportunity
Better is looking for a Senior Residential Mortgage Loan Underwriter to join the team. Using established underwriting guidelines, you will evaluate borrower financial and credit information in tandem with property valuations to inform lending decisions. Our underwriter will work closely with all members of the production team throughout the process to bring loans to closing.
Beyond producing high quality loans, our goal is to build a product that will ultimately reduce the cost of homeownership in America. To do this, we need you to wear many hats, ranging from a visionary redesigning the needlessly complex mortgage process; a data analyst uncovering how to make the most impact; to a problem solver working with highly skilled engineers and industry experts to resolve technical and operational challenges.
Responsibilities will include
- Underwrite and decision agency conforming and jumbo residential mortgage loans
- Verify and analyze all necessary financial information and documentation; ensure that loan files contain all necessary credit and legal documents
- Review appraisal reports to identify and resolve any discrepancies discovered within
- Perform thorough analysis of applicant's income and expense data, asset documentation, credit reports, and property valuations in order to affirm borrower qualifies for loan
- Calculate qualifying ratios, determine creditworthiness; provide risk opinions
Attributes We Value
- 7+ years of experience underwriting FNMA, FHLMC, and Non-Conforming mortgages
- Expert knowledge of Desktop Underwriter (DU) & Loan Prospector/Loan Product Advisor (LP/LPA)
- Categorical understanding of the mortgage lending process
- Ability to carry out requisite loan calculations (DTI, LTV, etc.)
- Capable of preparing findings reports
- Ability to handle multiple files simultaneously
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Perform well in team environments
- The drive to build something new
- Management experience a plus
Meet Some of Better Mortgage's Employees
Founder & CEO
It's not just about having the best idea—it's about actually making it happen.
Back to top