We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re building a better way to get home and our customers love it. By combining smarter technology with an award-winning team of mortgage experts, we’re making homeownership so simple it feels magical.
So far, we’ve:
- Helped more than 10,000 families get home
- Financed over $2B in loans
- Saved families an average of $32,000 in fees over the life of their loans
- Grew our geographic coverage to 35 states, up from 15 states from a year ago
And we’re not slowing down. We continue to outpace the rest of the industry at every turn.
Our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank, American Express, and others have invested over $85MM in Better and our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than ever before to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. Our tech team is small but growing, and you will be a big part of defining the technical direction and culture. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different frameworks and libraries, and doing as you see fit to solve problems.
We also offer above-market compensation and equity, as well as great benefits.
- Open source authors of popular projects like Annoy and Holder
- Engineers who are not afraid to get their hands dirty with product
- Mortgage subject matter experts eager to teach and reinvent the mortgage industry
- A Head of Engineering who writes a fun blog
- We continuously ship code to production 50-100 times every day
- Node.js, Python (3.6) and Scala for services
- React, webpack 4, SCSS, Ember.js on the frontend
- TypeScript / ES7 across the stack
- Postgres for our relational databases, ActiveMQ for our message broker, Redis for caching, Redshift for analytics
- Kubernetes, Docker, and Terraform for deployment and devops
- AWS infrastructure, leveraging EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much more
Better projects you could own:
- Build a system to evaluate thousands of rules and do a combinatorial search to find out what’s the best loan and how much can you afford
- Build a way to match borrowers to programs to calculate and surface eligible discounts to them
- Work on our Kubernetes cluster that helps us deploy 50-100 times/day with no downtime
- Improve our CI pipelines that run thousands of tests across hundreds of thousands of lines of code in a few minutes (with about 85% coverage)
- Build a seamless customer facing experience which brings borrowers through the most complicated financial transaction of their life with confidence and ease
- Integrate with email, text messages, and phone calls to unify all inbound/outbound communication and deliver real time updates to borrowers
- Automate and augment the flow of data from our data stores so it can be used to drive decision making in our company
- Work on integrating our loan management system with third party tools to bring us closer to automating the loan underwriting process
If you’re interested in solving complex problems that have a real world impact, get in touch!
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Smarts: book and street. We use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you communicate well with your fellow engineers and project managers as well as work across the organization with our internal users?
- Intellectual Honesty. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.
Meet Some of Better Mortgage's Employees
Eric W.Co-Founder & Head of Operations
Eric works with department leaders to turn big-picture thinking into action and change.
Back to top