Senior Product Manager
A Better opportunity
Better is looking for a Product Manager for our loan operations team. You'll streamline our loan processing workflows, automate repetitive tasks, and make it easier for our operations team to get their work done. This is a high-visibility role that spans internal and consumer-facing product experiences, and is central to our company’s strategy and future growth.
Today it takes 45 days for users to complete a mortgage loan. You will reduce that to 1 day. Today it costs $1,500 to process a loan. You will reduce that to near $0. In accomplishing these goals, you will extend our competitive advantage and help us scale from $1B to $10B in loan volume. Most importantly, you will make it easier for Americans to make the most important purchase of their lives.
- Be the product leader on a squad, which consists of five engineers, one designer, and an operations stakeholder.
- Become a subject matter expert in your area by interviewing users and analyzing product data.
- Define the product roadmap for your squad.
- Write clear and detailed product requirements.
- Test and launch high-impact new features and train the operations team on how to use them.
- Triage and fix bugs.
- Ultimately, set and hit your squad’s performance metrics, and improve the loan experience for our borrowers.
- Reduce borrower confusion during the loan process by analyzing workflows and improving the language and explanations of what we’re asking for.
- Ensure borrowers are informed during the loan process by auto-sending them texts and emails at key milestones.
- Eliminate the need for our customer support team to ask borrowers for documents. Analyze which documents are most commonly asked for and have our application request them automatically.
- Surface the status of critical loan services such as appraisal, title, and homeowner’s insurance so our borrowers and customer support teams don’t have to make phone calls to find this information.
- Speed up our customer support team’s workflow by rolling out a work management system so they always know which task they need to complete next.
Attributes we value
- Previous product management experience is a plus, preferably 3-5 years.
- Process thinking. You can analyze a complex process and find ways to simplify it.
- Technical proficiency. You are a trusted partner of engineers. Communicating about technical topics is your forte and you are willing to analyze data and assist with technical trade-offs when needed.
- Easy to work with. You understand the perspectives of our users, our customer support team, our operations team, and our design team, and you consider these viewpoints when creating product solutions.
- Ability to get up to speed fast. You're curious about how underwriting, home appraisals, title insurance, credit checks, regulatory disclosures, and closing work. You're willing to do research and interview our operations team so you can become an expert on the mortgage loan process.
- Excitement for Better’s mission to improve access to home finance, and to use a thoughtful combination of design, operations, and technology to do so.
A Better company
We believe homeownership is valuable. Here’s why: Not only has homeownership historically been one of the most reliable ways to build wealth, it also strengthens ties to the community and contributes positively to overall well-being. The way the mortgage industry operates today makes it harder and harder for people to consider homeownership -- so we set out to change that. The traditional mortgage process is designed to confuse, riddled with unnecessary fees, takes too much time, and is built on a foundation of misaligned incentive structures. It’s time Americans had a Better option.
A Better option is one that puts customers in control of the largest financial transaction of their lives. It’s built with best-in-class technology, supported by non-commissioned staff, and offers affordable financing options that meet customers where they are.
Since 2016, we’ve already funded over $1B in loans, raised $75M in capital, and won the NerdWallet Best Online Mortgage Lender for Customer Service and we’re just getting started.
Trying to modernize a decades old industry isn’t easy, but it is supremely rewarding. Become part of a Better team.
Back to top