Senior Front End Engineer
We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re building a better way to get home and our customers love it. By combining the technology people expect with a seamless customer service experience, we’re making homeownership so simple it feels magical.
In 2018 alone, we’ve helped over 10,000 families get home, saving them on average $3,500 in upfront fees and days of stress-filled time.
Our backers have helped build some of most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank and others have invested over $85MM in Better and our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. Our tech team is small, and you will be a big part of defining the technical direction and culture. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different frameworks and libraries, and doing as you see fit to solve problems.
We are working hard to make the mortgage experience extraordinary, and we need great front-end engineers to do it. Every behavior and interaction matters in helping our borrowers easily navigate a complex process. As part of our tech team, you will play a key role in helping us create delightful experiences in a sound and scalable way.
We also offer above-market compensation and equity, as well as full benefits. Part-time remote is great with us, although we are looking for candidate who can spend some significant fraction of your time at our office in downtown Manhattan.
Previously a Tech Lead, Architect, or Senior Engineer on a high profile commercial web product or platform
Previously a senior contributor to a high ranked FE framework open source project (i.e. Ember, D3, Angular)
- You have keen product sense and know when a feature works and when it can be improved.
- You have a good visual and aesthetic sense – a portfolio of past projects is a huge bonus.
- You’re really detail-oriented. Like really detail-oriented.
- You’re obsessed with shipping fast, smooth, seamless experiences.
- You have great interpersonal skills and a willingness to go above and beyond when collaborating with designers and engineers.
- You have extensive experience with at least one of the following: Ember, React, D3, Backbone.
- You have some experience with Node.js.
- Bonus points if you have computer graphics, motion graphics, or mobile experience.
- You can be a trusted partner to other engineers - everybody works on every part of the product.
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.
Back to top