Senior Associate, Business Operations
A Better company
We believe homeownership is valuable. Here’s why: Not only has homeownership historically been one of the most reliable ways to build wealth, it also strengthens ties to the community and contributes positively to overall well-being. At Better (https://better.com), we're on a mission to make homeownership an option for all Americans. We started 3 years ago by leveraging technology to re-architect the most broken piece of the homeownership process - the mortgage. The traditional mortgage process is designed to confuse, riddled with unnecessary fees, takes too much time, and is built on a foundation of misaligned incentive structures. A Better option is one that is built with best-in-class technology, supported by non-commissioned staff, and offers affordable financing options that meet customers where they are.
Since launching 2016, we have funded over $1B in loans and raised over $100M+ in capital from brand-name investors including KPCB and Goldman Sachs. Most importantly, we’ve helped thousands of Americans realize their dream of becoming homeowners. We’ve recently started exciting new ventures to begin fully integrating the various third-parties currently involved in the home-buying process. The vision is an end-to-end, personalized home buying experience that runs smoothly from 3-minute pre-approval to finding the home of your dreams. Join us on our mission to fundamentally improve access to home ownership.
A Better opportunity
The business operations (‘BizOps’) team at Better is responsible for identifying, prioritizing and solving Better’s most critical business challenges in a fast-moving environment. We are known by many unofficial names, “the nerve center of the business”, “the glue across the org”, “a SWAT team for the executive leadership” - essentially a mix of strong analytical capabilities, sharp business acumen and get-stuff-done mentality. We use a structured approach to drive company strategy across major business functions, develop operational plans to enable innovative offerings and lead execution against our recommendations. A shortlist of past projects include,
- Operationalizing a first-of-its-kind consumer offering that contributes the majority of the company’s purchase volume today
- Developing and executing a capacity expansion plan to triple mortgage production capacity from within 6 months (including the establishment of offshore teams)
- Designing and executing the company’s expansion strategy across states
- Enabling robust pricing strategies coupled with tight feedback loops through a series of data analysis, industry studies and customer interviews
- Understanding key drop off points in the customer conversion funnel and working with product, sales and marketing teams to address root causes
As part of the BizOps team, you will play a pivotal role in helping to shape and build out BizOps. You can expect to actively contribute in the following ways:
- Identify, prioritize and solve ongoing business requirements for a rapidly growing company
- Gather and analyze information to generate actionable insights
- Monitor our external environment (e.g., market conditions, competitive pressures, regulatory landscape) and derive implications for the business
- Drive alignment on priorities across key business functions (e.g., operations, product, marketing, capital markets, corporate) through our strategic planning and OKR cycles
- Lead execution on major, cross-functional company initiatives
Attributes we value:
- You are a strong performer with at least 2-3 years of experience in business operations / management consulting at a top-tier firm
- You have a bias for action, as well as a strong sense of practicality and effectiveness
- You have strong data analysis, data modeling, slide writing and presentation skills; SQL experience strongly preferred
- You’ve worked previously with an early-stage company / have tangible experience building something from the ground up
- You have excellent communication and relationship-building skills.
- You are highly adaptable, and able to thrive in ambiguous or uncertain environments.
Back to top