Head of Product Design
A Better company
We believe homeownership is valuable. Here’s why: Not only has homeownership historically been one of the most reliable ways to build wealth, it also strengthens ties to community and contributes positively to overall well-being. The way the mortgage industry operates today makes it harder and harder for people to consider homeownership -- so we set out to change that. The traditional mortgage process is designed to confuse, riddled with unnecessary fees, takes too much time, and is built on a foundation of misaligned incentive structures. It’s time Americans had a Better option.
A Better option is one that puts customers in control of the largest financial transaction of their lives. It’s built with best-in-class technology, supported by non-commissioned staff, and offers affordable financing options that meet customers where they are.
Since 2016, we’ve already funded over $1B in loans, raised $75M in capital, and won the NerdWallet Best Online Mortgage Lender for Customer Service and we’re just getting started.
Trying to modernize a decades old industry isn’t easy, but it is supremely rewarding. Become part of a Better team.
A Better opportunity
We’re searching for a Head of Product Design to join the senior leadership team at Better. This critical role will lead the product design team from vision to execution and own our entire design process, spanning user research, UX, and visual design. You’ll work with talented product managers and engineers to solve our user’s toughest challenges, and you’ll be an advocate for exceptional design across the organization.
Responsibilities will include:
- Establish and grow a world class design team to serve the company’s needs as we evolve from early stage startup to industry defining category leader.
- Structure your group to serve business and user needs around established priorities, as well as drive innovation and challenge the organization to set the highest standards for customer experience.
- Define and communicate your team’s design processes, and collaborate effectively with product management, engineering, and business stakeholders, including establishment of a design system library and implementation / governance model.
- Define and implement effective research testing approach, from the most qualitative exploratory methods to the most sophisticated quantitative data-driven analysis to balance creativity and risk taking with rigor and optimization.
- Continually improve your team’s design quality by running effective design reviews, cultivating ongoing training, and experimenting with new tools and techniques.
- We ship in weeks, not months. Balance all of the above with an aggressive business need for rapid iteration and rapid growth. Partner with executive, operations, technology, marketing and content teams to make magic happen, fast.
Attributes we value
- Deep user empathy and ability to establish an inspirational vision for how to not just meet and exceed user expectations but craft an industry-defining user experience.
- Ability as a design practitioner to go from 10 feet solving a granular design issue to 10,000 feet strategizing how to structure a global multi-vertical information architecture.
- Experience making complex experiences simple, beautiful, and elegant.
- Demonstrated experience as a manager recruiting and retaining a world class team of full stack designers (visual design, user experience, creative technologists), and scaling that team in an aggressive growth situation.
- Professional maturity and commercial understanding necessary to collaborate with c-level business executives to define strategies that meet business objectives while balancing user needs.
- Excitement about our mission to make homeownership easier and more affordable for all Americans. You love to fix broken systems and solve wicked problems through design. And the thought of fixing the largest asset class in the world is a thrilling challenge for you.
Back to top