Front End Engineer
A Better company
It’s hard not to be excited about mortgages when you’re actively upending the conventions of a $13 trillion dollar business that impacts over 200 million Americans.
At Better, we’re building a next-generation mortgage lender from the ground up. Our team combines leading software engineers from tech giants like Google and Spotify with financial talent from firms like Blackstone and Bridgewater, creating a hybrid institution unlike any other.
Rife with antiquated processes, the home finance industry has remained fundamentally unchanged since the 1970s. As we break down the entrenchments that bar so many from the benefits of homeownership, we adhere to three basic principles:
- Humans are better than computers at expressing empathy, understanding individual situations, and creating solutions to help people. Let them.
- Computers are more efficient than humans at working with massive data sets, performing complex calculations, and validating thousands of rules. Use them.
- The rules of the status quo are broken. Change them.
Join our mortgage revolution.
A Better opportunity
Help us by building a product that will change millions of lives. Our company is still small, and you will be a big part of defining the technical direction and culture. We offer highly competitive compensation and full benefits, as well as meaningful equity. We also provide yummy lunch every day!
We are working hard to make the mortgage experience extraordinary, and we need great front-end engineers to do it. Every behavior and interaction matters in helping our borrowers easily navigate a complex process. As part of our tech team, you will play a key role in helping us create delightful experiences in a sound and scalable way.
Attributes we value
- You have keen product sense and know when a feature works and when it can be improved.
- You have a good visual and aesthetic sense – a portfolio of past projects is a huge bonus.
- You’re really detail-oriented. Like really detail-oriented.
- You’re obsessed with shipping fast, smooth, seamless experiences.
- You have great interpersonal skills and a willingness to go above and beyond when collaborating with designers and engineers.
- You have extensive experience with at least one of the following: Ember, React, D3, Backbone.
- You can create a fast build pipeline with npm, Gulp, Webpack, or other tools.
- You have some experience with Node.js and/or Python.
- Bonus points if you contribute to open source projects or have some of your own.
- More bonus points if you have computer graphics, motion graphics, or mobile experience.
- You can be a trusted partner to other engineers - everybody works on every part of the product.
Meet Some of Better Mortgage's Employees
Founder & CEO
It's not just about having the best idea—it's about actually making it happen.
Back to top