A Better company
We believe homeownership is valuable. Here’s why: Not only has homeownership historically been one of the most reliable ways to build wealth, it also strengthens ties to community and contributes positively to overall well-being. The way the mortgage industry operates today makes it harder and harder for people to consider homeownership -- so we set out to change that. The traditional mortgage process is designed to confuse, riddled with unnecessary fees, takes too much time, and is built on a foundation of misaligned incentive structures. It’s time Americans had a Better option.
A Better option is one that puts customers in control of the largest financial transaction of their lives. It’s built with best-in-class technology, supported by non-commissioned staff, and offers affordable financing options that meet customers where they are.
Since 2016, we’ve already funded over $1B in loans, raised $75M in capital, and won the NerdWallet Best Online Mortgage Lender for Customer Service and we’re just getting started.
Trying to modernize a decades old industry isn’t easy, but it is supremely rewarding. Become part of a Better team.
A Better opportunity
Using a holistic understanding of industry trends and market dynamics, our Corporate Finance team facilitates and drives strategy execution across the organization. We are looking for a Corporate Controller to scale our accounting operations, and help build our growing accounting team. In this role, you’ll report directly to our CFO and work collaboratively with stakeholders across the organization. The ideal candidate has deep technical expertise in many areas of accounting, finance, and operations, including automation, tax regulations, treasury, corporate governance, internal controls and reporting.
Responsibilities will include:
- Develop and scale a world-class global accounting team
- Design, implement, and maintain appropriate processes to enable accurate and timely financial reporting
- Oversee month-end close process
- Provide technical accounting leadership and guidance on significant and complex accounting matters, especially those related to fair value and MSR accounting
- Develop internal guidelines, policies and procedures to implement proper financial controls
- Set the strategic direction for the implementation, improvement, and general maintenance of accounting systems and finance solutions that support our operations
- Prepare timely and accurate consolidated financial statement packages for our investors and Board of Directors
- Work closely with FP&A on developing and maintaining highly detailed chart of accounts that supports management reporting needs
- Liaise between external auditing firm and internal financial operations and control partners
- Oversee tax and treasury; assist and support outside counsel on all required tax filings and optimize treasury and transfer pricing
- Ensure compliance with state, federal and foreign regulatory requirements and professional standards
Attributes we value
- CPA required
- 8+ years of relevant experience, including 3+ years in a controller role for a venture-backed company.
- Strong preference for: operational and technical accounting background, IPO experience, SOX compliance experience.
- High degree of intellectual curiosity
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels
- Experience with COSO framework
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet hard deadlines
- Deep knowledge of internal controls, internal & external reporting, audit processes, and tax
Back to top