We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re building a better way to get home and our customers love it. By combining the technology people expect with a seamless customer service experience, we’re making homeownership so simple it feels magical.
In 2018 alone, we’ve helped over 10,000 families get home, saving them on average $3,500 in upfront fees and days of stress-filled time.
Our backers have helped build some of most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank and others have invested over $85MM in Better and our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
Using a holistic understanding of industry trends and market dynamics, our Corporate Finance team facilitates and drives strategy execution across the organization. We are looking for a Corporate Controller to scale our accounting operations, and help build our growing accounting team. In this role, you’ll report directly to our CFO and work collaboratively with stakeholders across the organization. The ideal candidate has deep technical expertise in many areas of accounting, finance, and operations, including automation, tax regulations, treasury, corporate governance, internal controls and reporting.
Responsibilities will include:
- Develop and scale a world-class global accounting team
- Design, implement, and maintain appropriate processes to enable accurate and timely financial reporting
- Oversee month-end close process
- Provide technical accounting leadership and guidance on significant and complex accounting matters, especially those related to fair value and MSR accounting
- Develop internal guidelines, policies and procedures to implement proper financial controls
- Set the strategic direction for the implementation, improvement, and general maintenance of accounting systems and finance solutions that support our operations
- Prepare timely and accurate consolidated financial statement packages for our investors and Board of Directors
- Work closely with FP&A on developing and maintaining highly detailed chart of accounts that supports management reporting needs
- Liaise between external auditing firm and internal financial operations and control partners
- Oversee tax and treasury; assist and support outside counsel on all required tax filings and optimize treasury and transfer pricing
- Ensure compliance with state, federal and foreign regulatory requirements and professional standards
- CPA required
- 8+ years of relevant experience, including 3+ years in a controller role for a venture-backed company.
- Strong preference for: operational and technical accounting background, IPO experience, SOX compliance experience.
- High degree of intellectual curiosity
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels
- Experience with COSO framework
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet hard deadlines
- Deep knowledge of internal controls, internal & external reporting, audit processes, and tax
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.
Back to top