Compensation and Benefits Coordinator
A Better company
It’s hard not to be excited about mortgages when you’re actively upending the conventions of a $13 trillion dollar business that impacts over 200 million Americans.
At Better, we’re building a next-generation mortgage platform from the ground up. We’ve already funded $1 billion in loans, and we’re just getting started. Our team combines leading software engineers from tech giants like Google and Spotify with financial talent from firms like Blackstone and Bridgewater, creating a hybrid institution unlike any other.
Rife with antiquated processes, the home finance industry has remained fundamentally unchanged since the 1970s. As we break down the entrenchments that bar so many from the benefits of homeownership, we adhere to three basic principles:
- Humans are better than computers at expressing empathy, understanding individual situations, and creating solutions to help people. Let them.
- Computers are more efficient than humans at working with massive data sets, performing complex calculations, and validating thousands of rules. Use them.
- The rules of the status quo are broken. Change them.
Join our mortgage revolution.
A Better opportunity
Better is searching for a Compensation and Benefits Coordinator to join our team. The rapidly growing People Operations team oversees functions such as talent acquisition, employee engagement, and human capital management. This individual will partner with our Director of Human Capital Management and other team members to handle the daily human resources responsibilities, and will also participate in the growth of our human resources function by taking ownership of longer term, large scale projects.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing analytical and general support for compensation projects, including compensation and equity planning, structure and design.
- Managing and executing US payroll, including reviewing timesheets, wage computation, detecting and reconciling payroll discrepancies.
- Monitoring compensation practices to ensure compliance with laws and regulations such as FLSA, Equal Pay Act, local requirements, etc.
- Administering all equity compensation awards and working with other departments (legal, finance) to ensure internal processes are administered in accordance with plan documents.
- Coordinating and administering employee benefit programs including health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, commuter benefits and 401k.
- Acting as point of contact for employees with questions about compensation and benefits.
- Liaising between company and external compensation & benefits vendors.
- Handling other People Operations/HR admin support as needed, including ad hoc projects and reporting.
Attributes we value
- Remarkable organizational skills and relentless drive to improve efficiency
- High personal integrity with a demonstrated ability to exercise confidentiality in sensitive situations
- Experience working in a start-up and/or fast-paced environment
- Strong written, mathematical and communication skills
- 3-5 years of experience with compensation and benefits
- Experience with HRIS system and proficiency in MS Excel
Meet Some of Better Mortgage's Employees
Founder & CEO
It's not just about having the best idea—it's about actually making it happen.
Back to top