Capital Markets Associate
A Better company
It’s hard not to be excited about mortgages when you’re actively upending the conventions of a $13 trillion dollar business that impacts over 200 million Americans.
At Better, we’re building a next-generation mortgage lender from the ground up. Our team combines leading software engineers from tech giants like Google and Spotify with financial talent from firms like Blackstone and Bridgewater, creating a hybrid institution unlike any other.
Rife with antiquated processes, the home finance industry has remained fundamentally unchanged since the 1970s. As we break down the entrenchments that bar so many from the benefits of homeownership, we adhere to three basic principles:
- Humans are better than computers at expressing empathy, understanding individual situations, and creating solutions to help people. Let them.
- Computers are more efficient than humans at working with massive data sets, performing complex calculations, and validating thousands of rules. Use them.
- The rules of the status quo are broken. Change them.
Join our mortgage revolution.
A Better opportunity
As our Capital Markets Associate you’ll play a critical role in growing an institutional scale, technology-driven capital markets group and craft & execute on capital markets strategy. We drive Better’s day-to-day and long-term strategy by determining what products to offer, as well as overseeing pricing, trading, hedging, financing, servicing and securitization. You will work directly with senior management to build innovative financial products that both serve customer needs and challenge the everyday assumptions of the traditional mortgage industry. You will also interface directly with banks, insurance companies, asset managers and hedge funds to develop new products and new relationships.
On our journey to make homeownership accessible and affordable, you can expect to collaborate regularly with teams across the organization - from marketing to engineering to operations - to achieve achieve high level business milestones, such as:
- Launching new product opportunities (e.g. renewable energy loans, first time home buyer loans, medical doctor loans, second liens, no mortgage-insurance loans, etc.)
- Developing and managing relationships with some of the largest hedge funds, asset managers, banks and insurance companies in the world, as well as ratings agencies, government agencies, etc.
- Owning the entire lifecycle of business goals, from initial pitch to negotiation to diligence to deal execution and follow up
- Using real-time market intelligence to determine live pricing of products being served to customers 24/7
- Building out customer-facing servicing function to create lasting brand impact with our consumers
- Spearheading ad-hoc/special projects, which entails independent learning and gives you the opportunity to wear several different hats
Attributes we value
- You can identify, overcome and work around obstacles to cross the finish line - a ‘Get Things Done’ mentality.
- You’re able to operate in an ambiguous, constantly shifting environment.
- You have strong critical thinking and analytic abilities, with a high attention to detail.
- You’ve worked for 1 to 3 years in finance/capital markets, with a focus on securitized products.
- You have advanced knowledge of Excel, and are experienced with reporting, SQL and working with disparate data sets. Python ability a plus.
- You are comfortable working independently, as well as with a team.
- You are an excellent communicator.
Meet Some of Better Mortgage's Employees
Founder & CEO
It's not just about having the best idea—it's about actually making it happen.
Back to top