Capital Markets Analyst
A Better Company:
With offices in New York City and Delhi, Better is revolutionizing the way people get a mortgage -- starting with the $12 trillion US mortgage market. Americans pay more money for housing than they do for almost all other things combined -- 33% of personal consumption expenditure. Yet somehow the mortgage process still takes 49 days, costs over $5,000 in administrative fees, and requires over 225 pages of paper and endless phone calls with commissioned loan brokers. We think this is insane -- so we’re fixing it.
First, we bought an existing mortgage bank and brought on the best engineers from companies like Spotify and Google. Now, we’re leveraging advances in data science, machine learning, and UX design to make mortgages simple, transparent, and delightful. We currently give consumers rates in 3 seconds and approvals in 30 seconds, not days. Last month alone, we funded over $50 million in mortgages -- and we’re just getting started.
A Better Opportunity:
In this role, you will be in the front seat of a fast-growing start-up. You will play a critical role in building and growing an institutional scale, technology-driven capital markets group. You will work directly with senior management to build out the pricing, trading, hedging, financing, servicing, and securitization functions. This is an opportunity to help build a capital markets group from the ground up.
- Conduct analytical work utilizing diverse data sets for live transactions, scenario analysis, strategic decision-making, and retrospective analysis
- Involvement in entire lifecycle of business goals and milestones, from initial pitch to negotiation to diligence to deal execution and follow up
- Spearhead ad-hoc / special projects which will entail independent learning and trial and error towards an important business goal
- Maximize loan sale revenue by determining optimal pricing and execution, and by finding and engaging new execution methods
- Manage interest rate and execution risks by building a trading / hedging functionality from ground up, including 24/7 pricing and hedging driven by rules-based algorithms
- Minimize financing costs by optimizing use of warehouse facilities
- Work closely with digital marketing team to identify opportunities to reach more customers, including via new product development
- Get Things Done mindset: identify, overcome, and work around obstacles
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity with the mindset of an explorer and adventurer
- Working knowledge and interest in finance and capital markets
- Strong critical thinking and analytic abilities with a high attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with reporting, SQL, and working with disparate data sets ideal
- Advanced working knowledge of Excel
- Proficiency with creating engaging and impactful presentations to further business objectives
Back to top