Business Operations Associate
A Better Company
Better is revolutionizing the $12 trillion mortgage business. Americans pay more money for housing than they do for almost all other things combined — 33% of personal consumption expenditure. Yet for how common getting a home loan is, the process still takes 49 days, costs over $5,000 in administrative fees, and requires over 225 pages of paper and endless phone calls with commissioned loan brokers. We think this is a poor user experience — so we’re fixing it.
First, we bought an existing mortgage bank and brought together great engineers from companies like Spotify and Google with folks who've been making mortgages for years. Now, we’re leveraging advances in data science, machine learning and UX design to make mortgages simple, transparent, and delightful. We currently give consumers rates in 3 seconds and approvals 3 minutes, not days. Last month alone, we funded over $60 million in mortgages. This coming year we will do over $1 billion — and we’re just getting started.
Help make financing a home better for all Americans.
A Better Opportunity
The business operations (‘BizOps’) team at Better is responsible for identifying, prioritizing and solving some of Better’s most critical business challenges. In this role, we’ll count on you to identify and solve big issues before they happen, bring structure to complex problems, derive insight from analysis, and work across the business to drive implementation.
- Identifying, prioritizing and solving ongoing business requirements for a rapidly growing start-up
- Prioritizing technology developments with the product team
- Re-thinking traditional mortgage process flows combining the expertise of industry experts and the power of technology
- Building an ecosystem of strategic business partners and vendors
- Monitoring our external environment actively (e.g., market conditions, competitive pressures, regulatory landscape) to deliver insights / implications for the business
Attributes we value:
- Strong performer with 2-3 years experience in business operations / management consulting / investment banking at top-tier firm
- Bias-to-action coupled with strong sense of practicality and effectiveness
- Proven leadership abilities
- Start-up experience / tangible experience building something from the ground up
- Excel and Powerpoint expert; SQL / R / Python is a big plus
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills
- Highly adaptable and able to thrive in ambiguous and uncertain environments
Back to top