Business Operations Associate
A Better company
It’s hard not to be excited about mortgages when you’re actively upending the conventions of a $13 trillion dollar business that impacts over 200 million Americans.
At Better, we’re building a next-generation mortgage platform from the ground up. We’ve already funded $1 billion in loans, and we’re just getting started. Our team combines leading software engineers from tech giants like Google and Spotify with financial talent from firms like Blackstone and Bridgewater, creating a hybrid institution unlike any other.
Rife with antiquated processes, the home finance industry has remained fundamentally unchanged since the 1970s. As we break down the entrenchments that bar so many from the benefits of homeownership, we adhere to three basic principles:
- Humans are better than computers at expressing empathy, understanding individual situations, and creating solutions to help people. Let them.
- Computers are more efficient than humans at working with massive data sets, performing complex calculations, and validating thousands of rules. Use them.
- The rules of the status quo are broken. Change them.
Join our mortgage revolution.
A Better opportunity
The business operations (‘BizOps’) team at Better is responsible for identifying, prioritizing and solving Better’s most critical business challenges in a fast-moving environment. We are, in essence, the nerve center of the business - a mix of strong analytical capabilities, sharp business acumen and “get stuff done” mentality. We use a structured approach to drive company strategy across major business functions, develop operational plans to enable innovative offerings and lead execution against our recommendations. A shortlist of past projects include,
- Operationalizing a first-of-its-kind consumer offering that contributes the majority of the company’s purchase volume today
- Developing and executing a capacity expansion plan to triple mortgage production capacity from within 6 months (including the establishment of offshore teams)
- Designing and executing the company’s expansion strategy across states
- Enabling robust pricing strategies coupled with tight feedback loops through a series of data analysis, industry studies and customer interviews
- Understanding key drop off points in the customer conversion funnel and working with product, sales and marketing teams to address root causes
As an associate on the BizOps team, you can expect to actively contribute in the following ways:
- Identify, prioritize and solve ongoing business requirements for a rapidly growing company
- Gather and analyze information to generate actionable insights
- Monitor our external environment (e.g., market conditions, competitive pressures, regulatory landscape) and derive implications for the business
- Drive alignment on priorities across key business functions (e.g., operations, product, marketing, capital markets, corporate)
- Lead execution on major, cross-functional company initiatives
Attributes we value
- You are a strong performer with 2-3 years of experience in business operations / management consulting
- You have a bias for action, as well as a strong sense of practicality and effectiveness.
- You have strong data analysis, data modeling and presentation skills; Excel and Powerpoint is a must, SQL/R/Python is a big plus
- You’ve worked previously with an early-stage company / have tangible experience building something from the ground up.
- You have excellent communication and relationship-building skills.
- You are highly adaptable, and able to thrive in ambiguous or uncertain environments.
Meet Some of Better Mortgage's Employees
Founder & CEO
It's not just about having the best idea—it's about actually making it happen.
Back to top