Software Engineer - New Grad
Below you will find the descriptions of multiple New Grad Software Engineer positions open at this time - please only submit an application to the one that feels like the best fit for you. We are happy to discuss a potential fit with other positions once we reach out.
New Grads & Betterment
Betterment is the largest independent robo-advisor, helping people to better manage, protect, and grow their wealth through smarter technology. With more than 175,000 customers and over $5.5 billion in assets under management, Betterment is helping Americans everywhere plan for and achieve their financial goals. We build our products with accessibility in mind, bringing our industry-leading technology to everyone from multi-millionaires to first-time savers.
At Betterment, you’ll have the peace-of-mind and stability that comes with our $205 million in fundraising, while have all the benefits that come with working at a rapidly growing startup. You’ll be pushed to grow you skills, take ownership of what you create, and do whatever it takes to improve the financial well-being of thousands of customers.
As a recent graduate, you will have a real opportunity to leverage the long hours of studying and code slinging to make a high impact by build software that is changing people’s lives. You’ll be mentored by smart and experienced engineers, working closely with other engineering teams, product, growth, and operations.
Below you will find the descriptions of multiple software engineer positions open at this time - please only submit an application to the one that feels like the best fit to you. We are happy to discuss a potential fit with other positions once we reach out.
In order to be effective in this role, you should:
- Have experience in at least one server-side language such as Ruby, Java, C#, C++ or Python
- Have prior software engineering internship or work experience
- Have a BS, MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Have a strong command of fundamental algorithms and data structures
- Have a passion for software engineering, and for creating what doesn’t exist
- Have an eagerness to learn and improve yourself and those around you
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- Realize that automated tests are a worthwhile investment
- Appreciate agility and pragmatism in software development
Software Engineer | Backend
Backend Systems is the engineering team responsible for the Trading and Automation software at the heart of the Betterment platform. On a busy day, we move around millions of dollars and execute a similar scale of transactions in the market. Every ounce of efficiency and intelligence we put into this system translates into more value for our customers. We’re looking for backend engineers to help us answer some of our most difficult product, scaling, and optimization questions.
You’ll answer questions like:
- How can we increase the efficiency of our systems by 10x while scaling our daily transactions by 10x over the same period?
- How can we use the history of our customer transactions to predict and prevent future fraud attempts?
- How do we build durable automated financial systems that depend on third party sources for pricing and reference data?
- What code patterns and testing approaches do we need to guarantee that we never, ever fail in an unexpected or undefined way?
- How do we evolve the architecture and the orchestration and inspection of all of our running processes to increase transparency?
Software Engineer | Full Stack
Full Stack Engineers sit side-by-side with user experience and product management to craft our consumer-facing applications. Part of being a member of this team is a love for building product you’re proud to share with your friends and family. You’ll need to leverage the entire software stack to help us realize these goals, and you’ll be a part of a team that’s tackling difficult questions of scale, architecture and interaction.
You’ll solve tough problems like:
- Integrating with real-time identity-verification services and our internal fraud-prevention system to create the fastest signup and funding process in the industry
- Working side-by-side with our investing team to build innovative, state-of-the-art financial advice algorithms, and then pair up with the design team to deliver an award-winning user experience powered by that advice
- Reinventing the financial advisor space by building next-gen customer management and analysis tools from scratch and partnering with our retail, data and investment teams to bring Betterment's technology to a brand new market
Software Engineer | Mobile (iOS or Android)
Mobile Engineers sit side-by-side with user experience and product management to craft our consumer-facing iOS and Android applications. Part of being a member of this team is a love for building product you're proud to share with your friends and family. We strive for fluid, delightful native mobile user experiences. You’ll need to leverage the entire software stack to help us realize these goals, and you'll be a part of a team that’s tackling difficult questions of scale, architecture and interaction.
The Betterment mobile team is very collaborative, but you'll be bringing your specific experience with either iOS or Android to the group and specializing in one mobile platform.
You’ll solve tough problems like:
- Integrate mobile-specific features like location services, cameras, and SMS, to real-time banking, identify verification, and fraud prevention systems, to create the fastest signup and funding process in the industry
- Work side-by-side with our investing team to build innovative, state-of-the-art financial advice algorithms, and then pair up with the design team to push that advice directly to devices in our users' pockets with an award-winning user experience
- Reinvent the financial advisor space by building interactive analysis and management tools. Partner with our retail, data and investment teams to bring financial advice to life with touch-centric visualizations
Back to top