Software Engineer - Mobile Android
Mobile Product Engineers sit side-by-side with user experience and product management to craft the customer experience on all fronts. The table stakes for being a part of this team is a love for building product you’re proud to share with friends and family. We strive for fluid, delightful user experiences, so you'll need deep knowledge of native toolkits (or a desire to acquire it) to help answer the questions we're faced with.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, simple user experience, and access to smart decisions help us to achieve it.
- Solve “impossible” problems. Take your ideas to the next level right away. We experiment, iterate, learn, and repeat.
- Collaborate, with purpose. You’ll work in small groups with other talented thinkers and figure out how to make Betterment’s revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers — you’ll build the tools to make it possible.
- Create efficiency. Our software helps customers save time and money. We maintain it through clean code, pragmatic programming, and lean engineering.
- Work with people who care. Half of our team is made up of engineers but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and lots of fun.
You will answer questions like:
- How do we architect high-performance internal APIs using contemporary RESTful frameworks, that facilitate rapid development of lightweight experiences, tools and visualizations?
- What’s the best way to support deep experimentation within a constantly evolving experience without leaving a mess of if/else statements in our wake?
- What's the simplest way to build data intensive interactive elements that can be personalized and distributed broadly through a network of content partners?
- How do we support development of rich native experiences that are at parity (or better) than our web experience, without extensive code duplication?
You'll be effective if you have:
- Have experience in at least one object oriented language - Java, C#, C++, Ruby, Python. You know the list
- Have a strong command of fundamental algorithms and data structures
- Have a passion for software engineering, and for creating what doesn’t exist
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- Know that investing in developing solid tests pays for itself several times over
- Appreciate agility and pragmatism in software development
- Thrive in a startup environment
- Have a passion for experimenting with new technologies, like React Native, to build immersive mobile experiences quickly and efficiently
Technologies you’ll use:
Experience with full-stack development (Java, Ruby) and data persistence (MySQL)
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $10 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 270,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Meet Some of Betterment's Employees
Product Design Manager
Jaime uses consumer feedback in order to build the automated financial planning products that empower Betterment's customers to take control of their financial futures.
Back to top