Software Engineer - Backend
Backend Systems is the engineering team responsible for the Trading and Automation software at the heart of the Betterment platform. On a busy day, we trade millions of dollars and execute a similar scale of transactions in the market. Every ounce of efficiency and intelligence we put into this system translates into more value for our customers. We’re looking for engineers to help us answer some of our most difficult product, scaling, and optimization questions.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, simple user experience, and access to smart decisions help us to achieve it.
- Solve “impossible” problems. Take your ideas to the next level right away. We experiment, iterate, learn, and repeat.
- Collaborate, with purpose. You’ll work in small groups with other talented thinkers and figure out how to make Betterment’s revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers — you’ll build the tools to make it possible.
- Create efficiency. Our software helps customers save time and money. We maintain it through clean code, pragmatic programming, and lean engineering.
- Work with people who care. Half of our team is made up of engineers but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and lots of fun.
You'll answer questions like:
- How can we increase the efficiency of our systems by 10x while scaling our daily transactions by 10x over the same period?
- How can we use the history of our customer transactions to predict and prevent future fraud attempts?
- What code patterns and testing approaches do we need to guarantee that we never, ever fail in an unexpected or undefined way?
- How do we evolve the architecture and the orchestration and inspection of all of our running processes to increase transparency?
- How do we go all-in on cloud infrastructure while increasing data security and privacy for our customers?
You'll be effective if you have:
- Have deep expertise in at least one object oriented language, such as Java, C#, C++, Ruby, or Python. You know the list.
- Have a strong command of fundamental algorithms and data structures
- Have a passion for software engineering, and for creating what doesn’t exist
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- Know that investing in developing solid tests pays for itself several times over
- Appreciate agility and pragmatism in software development
- Thrive in a startup environment
Technologies you’ll use:
Java, Spring, Hibernate, MySQL, Amazon Web Services, Linux
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $10 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 270,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Meet Some of Betterment's Employees
Lead Software Engineer
Cyrus runs Betterment's Financial Planning Team. He's responsible for building delightful customer experiences that help users make smart and profitable financial investments.
Back to top