Software Engineer - Android
What you can expect to work on in this role:
Android Engineers sit side-by-side with user experience and product management to craft our consumer-facing applications. Part of being a member of this team is a love for building product you're proud to share with your friends and family. We strive for fluid, delightful user experiences. You’ll need to leverage the entire software stack to help us realize these goals, and you'll be a part of a team that’s tackling difficult questions of scale, architecture and interaction.
Tackle tough business challenges:
- Integrate mobile-specific features like location services, cameras, and SMS, to real-time banking, identify verification, and fraud prevention systems, to create the fastest signup and funding process in the industry
- Work side-by-side with our investing team to build innovative, state-of-the-art financial advice algorithms, and then pair up with the design team to push that advice directly to devices in our users' pockets with an award-winning user experience.
- Reinvent the financial advisor space by building interactive analysis and management tools. Partner with our retail, data and investment teams to bring financial advice to life with touch-centric visualizations.
Respect software craftsmanship:
- How do we architect high-performance internal APIs using contemporary RESTful frameworks, that facilitate rapid development of lightweight experiences, and enable API code sharing between our web, iOS and Android clients?
- What’s the most maintainable way to support rapid experimentation within a constantly evolving user-experience without leaving a mess of if/else statements and deprecated deployed clients in our wake?
- How do we build simple, reusable components in Android Java and XML to accelerate the design and engineering process and allow us to spend our time on building innovative user interactions, rather than reinventing the wheel?
- How do we guarantee builds we release are reliable enough to be trustworthy financial tools for our users? How do we ensure bugs found in the wild can be handled, even if users don’t immediately update their app?
In order to be effective:
- Have experience building interactive Android applications using Java.
- Have experience in at least one server-side language - Ruby, Java, C#, C++, Python. We build our APIs in Ruby on Rails.
- Have a strong command of fundamental algorithms and data structures.
- Have a passion for software engineering, and for creating what doesn't exist.
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality.
- Realize that automated tests are a worthwhile investment.
- Appreciate agility and pragmatism in software development.
- Thrive in a startup environment.
Tools on your belt:
- Java, Android XML, Realm, JUnit, Espresso or Robolectric, Rails, SQL, SOA, Amazon Web Services, Linux
- Engineering spends much of its time with the tools above, but we strive to always choose the best tool for the job. You'll be working alongside teams that live-and-breathe a variety of languages and frameworks and will help us define the idioms to decouple systems that communicate via RESTful APIs and other protocols.
At Betterment, you’re going to:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, simple user experience, and access to sophisticated advice.
- Solve “impossible” problems. Take your ideas to the next level right away. We experiment, iterate, learn, and repeat.
- Collaborate, with purpose. You’ll work in small groups with other talented thinkers and figure out how to make Betterment’s revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers’ you’ll build the tools to make it possible. We already have the best UX in the business. Let’s make it even better.
- Create efficiency. Our software helps customers save time and money. We maintain it through clean code, pragmatic programming, and lean engineering.
- Work with people who care. Half of our team is made up of engineers, but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and lots of fun.
Back to top