Senior Brand Marketing Manager
About the right team member:
There once was a brand marketer in search of a role (that’s you). Not just any role, of course, but the perfect brand marketing role at a financial technology company that planned to change investing forever (that’s us). At a company that valued efficiency, iteration, happiness, and always put the customer first (still us). To take their mind off the fact that they couldn’t find anything just right, they started engaging in their favorite hobbies. Things like turning commercials up, instead of down, when they watched TV; daydreaming about developing the most compelling display ads in all the land; hanging out at subway platforms just to read the ad copy.
That night, they couldn’t sleep. Did the perfect role even exist? They knew they had to work harder to find it. They counted Instagram likes in lieu of sheep and fell into a deep sleep. The next day, they had a plan. First, they legally changed their middle name to “Data-driven.” (Now it could finally be true when they said, “‘Data-driven’ is my middle name.”) Then, they went to Betterment.com/careers and saw we were hiring for a Senior Brand Marketing Manager. They applied, and the rest is history.
Do you share any of the same hobbies as this fictitious brand marketer? Are you more (instead of way, way less) intrigued to apply for this role after reading this “About the right team member” section? If so, you’re probably the right team member.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Drive a differentiated brand story that conveys our mission, customer-first platform, and that we’re the leader of the category.
- Guide all internal and external creative development across various marketing teams: Paid Acquisition, Brand, Customer Relationship Management, and Product Marketing.
- Oversee strategy and execution for paid and owned media including: social media posts, video, print/ooh and digital advertising.
- Project manage integrated advertising campaigns to drive brand awareness and conversion.
- Build, maintain, and manage strong agency relationships to ensure we develop the best possible creative work.
- Push for and adhere to a standard of excellence when it comes to our creative work, whether we’re developing it using our internal or external creative teams.
- Utilize consumer insights and guide positioning for Betterment and its products and services.
- Ensure brand messaging and customer experience is consistent throughout all customer touch points, including website, app, email, social, and more.
- Oversee the development of and write original, innovative Product and Marketing copy for all three Betterment business lines: Betterment retail, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business
- Partner with Product and Design teams to create effective, engaging copy within our customer experience (e.g., homepage, signup flow, etc.)
- Lead a small team of brand and creative marketers—providing leadership and guidance for their career paths and future goals, while pushing and inspiring them to create outstanding work.
- Ensure that brand guidelines are adhered to in all marketing activities across the company.
- Increase brand metrics - awareness, favorability, NPS.
- Stay up to date with industry and technological changes that impact the business – maintaining ongoing knowledge of marketing best practices and keeping an eye out for creative marketing opportunities.
You will be effective if you have:
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in a brand-related role at a B2C company (preferably a role that included both content marketing or copywriting and creative development for advertising).
- 2+ years of experience effectively managing and developing a high-performing team.
- Strong writing, communication, and storytelling skills.
- Utmost attention to detail and strong organization skills.
- Experience leading multi-channel marketing campaigns from start to finish (e.g., writing a brief, getting sign-off from internal partners, developing creative assets, attending video shoots, and measuring performance).
- Ability to guide a creative team to explain complex concepts in a brief, intuitive way that also adheres to voice and brand.
- Performance-driven mindset with a history of driving measurable business performance in a deadline driven and rapidly changing environment.
- Strong analytical background with proven ability to use analytics to assess performance and identify opportunities for optimization and additional scale.
- Some understanding of financial advertising compliance principles, as well as ability to follow Betterment’s compliance standards.
- Ability to partner across finance, analytics, customer, product, and growth teams.
- Proactive and conscientious mindset with ability to prioritize projects and workload as they relate to company and departmental goals.
- Openness to frequent positive and constructive feedback.
Bonus points if you have:
- Investing and financial knowledge.
- Regularly followed the FinTech space and/or have a financial services background.
- Knowledge of Betterment’s investing philosophy and brand.
- Some experience working at an agency on B2C brands.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $14 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 370,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Back to top