Retail Analytics Leader
Thank you for your interest in joining the team at Betterment! We are all finding ourselves in an uncertain environment given the ongoing developments with Coronavirus (COVID-19). As you know, Betterment’s mission is to empower people to make the most of their money so they can live better, and we maintain that steadfast commitment regardless of market conditions.
We are hiring slowly but thoughtfully at this time. We will be reviewing all applications for each open role on a weekly basis through June, 2020. Given this shift in hiring pace, you may not hear back from us for a few weeks. If your application seems like a good fit for this position, we will contact you in order to schedule a phone interview.
Analytics is one of the fastest growing teams at Betterment. We operate with a 360 degree view of the company, working closely with teams such as Finance, Marketing, Product, and Operations, and always with our users in mind. Our role in the organization in one of business partner and trusted advisor. Projects range from developing learning agendas to address key strategic questions, to creating beautiful dashboards to developing machine learning models. These projects add tremendous value to the business and we are looking for more thoughtful, driven, and curious people to push the business even further.
About the right team member:
At Betterment, there is nothing more important than building the best products we possibly can for our customers. Analytics plays a central role in how we decide what to build, how we design the customer experience, and how we monitor the performance and adoption of our products.
We are looking for an experienced analytics leader to direct these efforts. This person will be responsible for managing and mentoring a team of product analysts and data scientists embedded within our Retail product organization. This individual will be a core member of the Retail product leadership team, working closely with product, engineering and design partners to drive strategy, measure performance from the line of business to the feature level, and ensure the team is set up for success with the right data and tools.
Betterment is in a growth stage and analytics needs are fairly broad, so the work is bound to stay interesting. At any point in time, projects may include driving alignment around OKRs and KPIs, driving testing plans and working with engineering to improve our A/B testing framework, implementing dashboards and supporting data infrastructure in partnership with other Analytics teams and Data Engineering, digging into usage behavior, or developing propensity or attribution models.
Finally, this person will have a passion for Betterment’s mission, and a willingness to be flexible in helping us accomplish it. You will have a seat at the table, frequently communicate with business and product leadership and translate high level conversations into action.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Build a close partnership with the Product, Design, Engineering, Data Engineering and Marketing teams teams and their leaders and drive alignment around priorities.
- Directly lead and develop a squad of product analysts/data scientists solving a variety of strategic problems.
- Ensure the team is providing polished, accurate and timely information across the business.
- Lead the team in evolving our technical and statistical capabilities both through day-to-day mentoring and in collaboration with partner teams (e.g. Learning and Development).
- Ensure the team maintains an end-to-end understanding and utilization of transactional data flows in a continuous push environment.
- Review code and guide the team in selecting and properly utilizing tools, methodologies, etc.
- Partner with our Core and Strategy Analytics team to “democratize data” within Betterment by implementing impactful dashboards and data models, driving data literacy training, and effectively broadcasting key business insights.
- Lead the team in developing approaches to more complex problems with rigorous and creative in-depth analysis.
- Participate in the broader analytics community in NYC, staying abreast of new ideas and trends, and contributing thought leadership.
You will be effective if you have:
- 8+ years of experience working in analytics/data science.
- 3+ years of experience directly managing 3+ analysts/data scientists.
- Passion for solving complex business problems with data and transforming analyses into concise insights and recommendations.
- The ability to write SQL in your sleep and experience working with row-based and columnar databases.
- Strong ability to lead a team coding in Python and/or R, and appetite for advancing your own technical skills.
- Experience with large transactional datasets.
- An eye for beautiful and effective data visualizations, and experience creating them programmatically.
- Ability to prioritize across long-term projects and ad hoc requests, as well as tools for effectively communicating and driving alignment around team priorities.
- Desire to succeed in a demanding, innovative, and entrepreneurial environment.
Bonus points if you have:
- 3+ years of experience in product analytics.
- An advanced degree in a quantitative field.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $22 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 480,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Back to top