About the right team member:
You love design and are passionate about building intuitive, delightful user experiences. You know that product experiences exist across platforms, and you approach problems holistically. You’re frustrated with financial products and believe that customers deserve better. You’re self-motivated, learning new skills quickly, with a sense for what you’ll develop next. You want to have a direct impact on the growth of the largest independent online financial advisor.
At Betterment we hire designers with a deep foundation in design and user experience principles—folks who are talented and eager to both learn from their colleagues and help make them better. As a design team, we're focused and always strive for excellence. And as a company, we're committed to being the only financial partner that you can be sure is continuously working to maximize your money.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Contribute directly to projects that help us improve our customers’ financial lives
- Contribution to product strategy by identifying new opportunities, generating innovative solutions, crafting emotionally engaging designs, and improving existing features
- Partner with research, product management, and engineering, working closely in cross-disciplinary teams
- Be responsible for all aspects of design for your projects from inception through launch
- Make informed design decisions based on competitor analysis, customer feedback, site metrics and usability reports
- Further develop your design chops, working among a talented team of designers, providing one another feedback and perspective, aiming for a cohesive experience across all touchpoints
- Establish and maintain design principles and patterns to be used across all channels and experiences
- Add depth and polish to our recently updated brand (we’re very excited about this)
You will be effective if you have:
- 3+ years experience as a product designer
- A portfolio of extraordinary product design work
- An iterative, customer-centric approach to designing experiences
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
- Experience with and appreciation for user research and usability testing
- The ability to execute your designs using HTML and CSS
- Shipped great products to real people
- Cross-platform experience (mobile and desktop web, android, iOS, email)
- Strategic product thinking and vision
Bonus points if you have:
- Read Robert Brignhurst’s The Elements of Typographic Style
- Experience implementing data visualizations
- You’re familiar with Brad Frost’s work
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $10 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 270,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Meet Some of Betterment's Employees
Product Design Manager
Jaime uses consumer feedback in order to build the automated financial planning products that empower Betterment's customers to take control of their financial futures.
Back to top