Lead Software Engineer - Site Reliability
Technology is at our core here at Betterment. Site Reliability is a trusted partner throughout the organization which is constantly working to keep everything running smoothly. We do this by building tools for our development teams, improving reliability & performance of our systems and better monitoring and visibility into our services. This helps us move faster and smarter, all while done within a highly regulated and secure environment.
About the right team member:
You have a wealth of experience to draw from, with a background in building and automating, reliable, secure, scalable solutions in the cloud. You are highly motivated by all tasks that come across your desk which range from delivering new tools and systems that make engineering more impactful to working with your peers to help maintain and improve current systems. You are always keeping up with what is going on within the tech industry and strive to learn and share your knowledge with colleagues all while maintaining high productivity. You are intrigued with how to use metrics to effectively drive change. You have a passion for architecting solutions and understand the value of not over engineering them.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Work with engineers across the organization to empower them to move faster while maintaining high quality and speed of delivery
- Be a visionary for collaborative creation of tooling
- Introduce and promote adoption of significant technologies and process innovations
- Coach and mentor our engineers so they grow in their craft as it relates to creating and maintaining high quality software and supporting systems
- Lead design reviews and perform code reviews, providing valuable and actionable feedback to peers
- Improve our software delivery pipeline in a way that makes it both expedient and a tool to promote high quality
- Partner with our security engineers to maintain and continually improve our security tools and practices
- Actively participate in an on call rotation with peers
- Identify gaps in the organization, relating to tooling, processes, or resources, and help devise plans to address them
You'll be effective if you:
- Lean towards tackling large challenges by picking them apart, observing, experimenting, and gathering metrics that can help drive the team towards their goal
- Have ample experience with cloud providers (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, DigitalOcean)
- Have significant experience with automation and configuration management
- Strong Linux sys admin skills
- Know the importance of architecting and building systems for HighAvailability, Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery
- Actively grow your own skills and have a strong technical background
- Work autonomously with minimal direction and oversight
Technologies you'll use:
Everything but the kitchen sink. But if you want a list… AWS, Terraform, Kubernetes, CircleCI, Ruby, Rails,Python, Java, Docker, Ansible, Jenkins, New Relic, Splunk, Puppet, Chef, Gradle, Nginx, Tomcat, Puma, MySQL, Postgresql, Consul, Linux
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $13 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 330,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Meet Some of Betterment's Employees
Lead Software Engineer
Cyrus runs Betterment's Financial Planning Team. He's responsible for building delightful customer experiences that help users make smart and profitable financial investments.
Back to top