Lead Software Engineer - Mobile Android
Betterment is hiring a Lead Engineer for our Android team. Our team's mission is to create the most streamlined and intuitive mobile investing experience possible to allow our customers to make the most of their money. We partner with User Experience and Product Management teams to build features using native mobile technologies that enable our customers to meet their financial goals.
About the right team member:
You are passionate about tackling complex product and technical problems. You believe that by leveraging technology you can empower others. You are excited to work in an environment where you get to work with cross-functional teams that span the entire company. You thrive under pressure — concurrent projects and tight deadlines sound fun to tackle! You love to learn and to share your expertise with others in an open, collaborative environment.
At Betterment, you’ll get to:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, efficient workflows, simple user experience, and access to sophisticated advice.
- Solve challenging problems and change an industry while you do it.
- Take your ideas to the next level right away and see the impact you can have. We experiment, iterate, learn, and repeat.
- Collaborate, with purpose. You’ll work in small groups with other talented thinkers and figure out how to make Betterment’s revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers — you’ll build the tools to make it possible. We already have the best UX in the business. Let’s make it even better.
- Work with people who care. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and fun.
You’ll be effective if you have:
- 4+ years of experience building native Android applications
- Experience building product features, as well as frameworks that enable the efficient creation of robust customer experiences
- A strong desire to help lead initiatives to ensure we are providing as much value as possible to our customers
- A passion for software engineering, and for creating what doesn’t exist
- The ability to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- Fluency in automated testing best practices
- An appreciation for agility and thoughtful pragmatism in software development
- A strong command of fundamental algorithms and data structures
- The ability to thrive in a startup environment
Technologies you’ll use:
Experience with full-stack development (Java, Ruby) and data persistence (MySQL)
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $10 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 270,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
Meet Some of Betterment's Employees
Product Design Manager
Jaime uses consumer feedback in order to build the automated financial planning products that empower Betterment's customers to take control of their financial futures.
Back to top